RockyNH 2nd Portrait Attempt....

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, took a lot of shots last Saturday, posted up a bunch with different lighting and received some creative comments, then came back Sunday with some improvements. The folks here were a great help.. thank you.

Anyway, today, I wanted to try a couple things to make a little more improvement...

1st up... I started with Rembrandt with a fill flash... Key was at 1/2 power and fill was at a quarter.. I felt these were improved from last week.

DSC_4876-Edit.jpg DSC_4879-Edit.jpg

I then switched to a butterfly setup so I could pull one of my 2 flashes for a hairlight.. The reflector was a white sheet acrosss a chair directly in front of the model. The hairlight was a flash to the left high with a snoot...

DSC_4890-Edit.jpg DSC_4891-Edit.jpg

The last set was the same but I moved the hairlight to the right side.. it did not do as well likely due to my positioning, but still not bad.. I liked the 2nd set the best... learned too that a major affect can be how the model turns her head reference the lighting ( is shot like 40 shots with the various lighting set's).

DSC_4902-Edit.jpg DSC_4904-Edit.jpg

All in all, another good learning experience... Thanks to Nikonites members for all the help.

Pat in NH

fotojack

Nice job, Pat. Out of all the shots presented, I keep going back to the top right photo, which, to me, seems the best of the bunch, based on the shadows and lighting. A close second would be the bottom left of the last group of shots.....again, based on the shadows and lighting. If you have a 5-in-1 reflector, I would put that down near the floor to provide some "up" light to take away the shadows around the neck and side of the nose. (see what I mean?)
All in all, nicely done, bud. :)

RockyNH_RIP

Nice job, Pat. Out of all the shots presented, I keep going back to the top right photo, which, to me, seems the best of the bunch, based on the shadows and lighting. A close second would be the bottom left of the last group of shots.....again, based on the shadows and lighting. If you have a 5-in-1 reflector, I would put that down near the floor to provide some "up" light to take away the shadows around the neck and side of the nose. (see what I mean?)
All in all, nicely done, bud. :)

Thanks Jack! Some day I need to pick up a 5 in 1.. they are so versatile, inside and out.. I have a home builty 5 in 1 today!! 5 Feet of white sheet thrown over 1 blue chair!! :)

That will probably be on my next amazon order as they are so inexpensive...

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Nice job Pat! I like the lighting changes and the hair light really helps!

Thanks Rick! The hair light is nice... tough to control with speedlights but practice makes perfect (or at least better!) It was tricky too because I had no boom to get it out and over .... it was on a regular stand and I had to keep that just out of the photo..

Pat in NH

fotojack

Thanks Jack! Some day I need to pick up a 5 in 1.. they are so versatile, inside and out.. I have a home builty 5 in 1 today!! 5 Feet of white sheet thrown over 1 blue chair!! :)

That will probably be on my next amazon order as they are so inexpensive...

Pat in NH

Pat, I got mine from here. Reflectors & Diffusers | Lighting Accessories | Studio Lighting | Linkdelight.com
Look at that price! Can't beat that, bud! And it's not cheap garbage either. It really is well made!

RockyNH_RIP

jack, thanks! That price is great and with good quality it sounds like a deal... They have a lot of stuff... shipping on the 5-1 is a tad steep... (1 1/2 times the cost). I wonder what kind of break they give if several items are ordered...

thanks for the link...

pat in nh