Lens for D3100

mrborgie13

Hi guys Im a beginner with dlsr camera and i've heard a lot about the new nikon d3100 " which is not available yet in store " so my question is what lens shoud i buy ? pls help !

Joseph Bautsch

Re: Dslr camera

Hi and welcome to the Nikonites Community. The D3100 is a very good camera. For a beginner in DSLR photography there will be something of a learning curve. But that is what Nikonites is for. The people here are friendly and ready to answer your questions regarding the use of your camera and lenses. For a beginners lens I would recommend what is known as a "walk around". Something you can use in a lot of different shooting situations. The camera will probably be offered in a kit which will include a lens. Usually these lenses are the Nikon 18-55mm VRII or the 18-105mm VRII. These are good starter lenses to learn on. Not the best but also not expensive. As you learn more about DSLR shooting and what style of photography you like best then you can go for the better glass. Glass that will complement your style of photography.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

Hi Mr. Borgie and welcome to the site. Joseph gave you great advice regarding getting started. Do you take pictures now? If so, what kind of camera are you using? Have you used an SLR or D-SLR before? Let us know a bit more about yourself and the group will certainly try to help.

mrborgie13

thanks a lot ! im very happy that i've found this nikonites website where people are very helpful and nice so once this camera is available i will buy it and start shooting
especially for this coming fall. so once again thanks a lot !

Last edited:

goz63

I will echo JB's statement. The 18-55 VRII is a good lens and you can add the 55-200 VRII or the new 55-300 VRII for some reach. You can do most things with that combo. I also have the 18-105 and that is a great walk around lens. When I just don't know what I will run into and I might want some wide angle shots or some short tele work, it covers it all. As you can see from my list I added a couple low light lenses and for an enthusiast, this works great. Will I compete with the D3X crowd and the 70-200 VRII...NO. But then that is not my goal. Nikon makes great glass which is why I chose them over Canon. Other than the 70-300 non-VR, you will do fine with just about any lens. On a budget, as I am, these lenses will be a good place to start.

Ruidoso Bill

Welcome to Nikonites mrborgie! Most of the nikon dslr's will keep you busy learning the camera and concentrating on technique and composition. Honestly, good cameras are usually more capable than the hands they are in and offer all of us a chance to grow and learn.

mrborgie13

....thank you guys ! this is one thing that I'd like in this site people are very helpful and nice and
I hope next week the nikon d3100 will be available and I will stick first with 18-55 mm lens.
sorry for the late reply cuz I'm working afternoon shift.

lls-indy

Hopefully you will buy your new camera from a shop that offers classes in the mechanics of the camera -- not photography classes, but how to set up your camera to get the best results possible. I must say that this was one of the best parts of getting both of my cameras from a local dealer who offered classes.

I hope that you enjoy your new camera and look forward to seeing some of your pics. Happy shooting.

jazman444

with the 55-300 VRII lens...will the auto focus work with it?

cause i bought the 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor Lens and the autofocus doesnt work

cal41

with the 55-300 VRII lens...will the auto focus work with it?

cause i bought the 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor Lens and the autofocus doesnt work

Only AF-S lenses will work with the D3100. I have an AF-S 70-300mm lens that auto focuses with my D5000 and would work with the D3100 as well. There are several models of the 70-300mm lens, most of which are only AF models.

The new 55-300mm lens is an AF-S lens also and will work fine with a D3100.

Last edited:

kathryn0915

Mark
Good afternoon - I am new to this site - I got the d3100 for xmas and it came with the 18-55 lens...from what I am reading above, you ARE saying that the 18-105 lens WILL fit and work with the d3100??? i saw a NEW one on ebay today and wanted to make sure it will fit and work with the d3100 before i even bid on it...thanks kathryn

goz63

Yes the 18-105 will work and you will love that lens. It is a great all around/walk around lens. It has autofocus built into as well. Go ahead and bid on it if the price is right. I would also recommend looking at Adorama.com they have some great prices on Nikon lenses.
Mark

PavementPilot

The new 55-300mm lens is an AF-S lens also and will work fine with a D3100.

I have this lens and love it. The VRII allows for nice handheld shots even in low light and with the pop-up flash. I have no barrelling from the flash with the lens out to 300mm and the hood on it. I am using the 2 lens system to go 18-300mm.

barriebw

Had to laugh when I joined the Forum just now. According to the forum I am now a JUNIOR. At 75????

I have a brand new 3100 with the kit lens 18-55mm, and 55-300mm. I like to take close ups of a flower etc. macro stuff. Wondering what suggestions the SENIORS have about a suitable macro lens.
Thanks