D800 and 'd' lenses

Philippe

Hello,

This is my first posting on this forum.

As I am a new D800 user, coming from a Hasselblad V and P25+, I find it rather strange that I can't use any AF-S 'D' lenses on my camera.
The aperture doesn't change when I turn the wheels and the marking on the top screen doesn't ether, it is stuck on the smallest one, for the Micro 60 mm this is F32.
The lens is set on the smallest aperture (orange) and the switch is set on the orange mark.
In the setup-menu the item 'lens whit out CPU' is set on No 1.

Perhaps I might overlooked something or done something wrong, but what?

Thanks for helping me out here.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you in Aperture mode? The lens aperture ring has to be at it's smallest aperture for the front wheel to be able to change aperture. But it will only do so when the camera is set on "A" mode. I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Philippe

Thanks muzza22au for this rather swift answer!
I you mean the setting in the Setup Menu, then the 'Non-CPU lens data' is set in No.1.
Otherwise, I wouldn't know what setting to do...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I you mean the setting in the Setup Menu, then the 'Non-CPU lens data' is set in No.1.

If you lens is an AF-S D you don't have to enter it in the "Non-CPU" but if it is an AIS then you do.

Philippe

Yes, Marcel, the camera is in A mode (always).
And the aperture is set at it's smallest aperture which is orange colored and that little switch on the lens barrel is set on the also orange mark.

Scott Murray

I never changed anything on mine and it worked fine. So as Marcel says leave the Non CPU bit as it was.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, Marcel, the camera is in A mode (always).
And the aperture is set at it's smallest aperture which is orange colored and that little switch on the lens barrel is set on the also orange mark.

But is it an AF lens or AI-S?

Philippe

It's this lens:

Attachments

• D3S_7544-600.jpg
    D3S_7544-600.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 246

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's this lens:

Aperture should be changed with the front wheel (sub-command). If it doesn't, something is wrong. Maybe cleaning the lens contacts would help, if not, time for a visit to a Nikon service center I guess. I hope you find a better solution than the repair center. If you have a friend with a Nikon, just test the lens on another body to make sure it's the lens. Does the camera work well with other lenses?

Scott Murray

Just a thought, reset your camera to factory settings then attach this lens with camera turned off of course and see what happens.Turn camera on and try adjusting the Aperture in A mode and M mode.

I have the 85 f/1.4 D and have no issues as stated.

Last edited:

Philippe

Aperture should be changed with the front wheel (sub-command). If it doesn't, something is wrong. Maybe cleaning the lens contacts would help, if not, time for a visit to a Nikon service center I guess. I hope you find a better solution than the repair center. If you have a friend with a Nikon, just test the lens on another body to make sure it's the lens. Does the camera work well with other lenses?

Yes, the camera works perfectly with 'G' lenses. And, on a friend's camera (D800), that 'D' lens worked perfectly too, and the contacts have been cleaned.
I have set the rear wheel (thumb operated) to change the aperture, which works with the G lenses in 'A' and, strangely, not in 'M' with these G lenses...
BTW, my D800 is hardly two weeks old...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Check the front of your camera, make sure the AF setting is not in M. Same with the lens, set it to A.

Like what Marcel have mentioned, the lens should be locked at f32 with this particular lens. The auto focus should work well and adjust the aperture using the front dial.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, the camera works perfectly with 'G' lenses. And, on a friend's camera (D800), that 'D' lens worked perfectly too, and the contacts have been cleaned.
I have set the rear wheel (thumb operated) to change the aperture, which works with the G lenses in 'A' and, strangely, not in 'M' with these G lenses...
BTW, my D800 is hardly two weeks old...

Does it work if you use the aperture ring on the actual lens? I think there is a menu somewhere in there to assign the aperture either to the lens ring or the camera's wheel… Can't remember where it is though. Try it to see if it meters and operates OK with the ring in manual mode and aperture mode and if it does, you'll have to dig this function in the menu.