Zooming vs walking to subject

mobi

Suppose I am shooting with a zoom lens.

I can either walk to a subject or use zoom to make it closer.

Which one is preferable and why?

Thanks

Scott Murray

It all depends on the situation you are in, I will be on safari in Africa soon and you are not able to get out of the safari vehicles and walk anywhere. The reason being is that the animals are used to vehicles but not humans as humans have hunted them for hundreds of years. Also there is a risk of being mauled I guess ;). So in this case a zoom lens is ideal so you can capture long off subjects aswell as ones close by.

Also different focal lengths act differently and display the image differently so it all depends on the shot you are after.

Brusader

By physically getting closer, you will see more detail in the subject and will often find a better angle to shoot from. That being said, it all depends on where you are, and what you're shooting.

I've always been told that the best zoom is a pair of legs and often found this the case. Most people will stay and shoot from a distance, but getting in close will often bring out more in a person you're photographing as this emphasizes that they're the subject and are worthy of being photographed.

I always ask permission and am willing to show them and delete the photo if the person doesn't like it. Most people then say yes to a close up.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Your question is a little broad and there are no right or wrong answer. It is mainly more of a situational on what you can do or can't do.

Wider focal length (less than 35mm) tend to have more distortion, depending on the lens that you are using. Once you identify the sweet spot of a particular lens, you'll tend to use that focal length to avoid distortion.

When using a flash, the farther you are from your subject, the better the light gets dispersed. If you are too close, then you might just get half of their body illuminated which doesn't work well in some cases if you are using a bounce flash.

I just don't know if this is the answer that you are looking for.

Rexer John

As others have said, it depends on the situation.

Lets say you are taking a picture of a steam train with 5 carriages and you want them all in the shot and filling the frame. You are on the platform and the steam train is moving slowly so you don't have to move.

The first picture you take is with your lens zoomed in, the train and carriages fill the frame.
The second shot you take is with mid zoom, the third is at the wide angle setting, each picture is with the train filling the frame.

The first shot will have the train and carriages tapering away gently to the distance
The second shot will have the train bigger in proportion to the last carriage and the third shot will have a huge train with a tiny last carriage.

Then there's depth of field, the best way to see this difference is to take pictures of a wall or fence sideways on and filling the frame, at wide and zoomed settings. Try different apertures to see how the depth of field changes.

Try taking a picture of someone in a landscape at wide and zoom with the person covering the same amount of the image, notice how much more background is in the shot at wide angle.

It's said that a 50mm lens (35mm in a DX) photo looks much the same as a human eyes view.

Get out there and take lots of test shots, learning by shooting is the best way and costs nothing in digital. Have fun.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Here's an example of the perspective change that John is talking about, which I believe absolutely illustrates the heart of your question. Same subject, different focal lengths.

Cosplay-Photography-Focal-Length-comparison-fixed.jpg

Scott Murray

Not my photos but shows you the different focal lengths and distortion.

zoom1.jpg

zoom2.jpg

zoom3.jpg

Each shot is framed identically using the lens’ focal length, but because the photographer had to move away to properly frame the shot at any given focal length, the perspective still changed. It’s a simple concept, but even if you’ve heard it explained a million times, you should really give it a try yourself.