buying a used flash

sanjke

Hi to all,can someone give me some advice about flashes.I have opportunity to by used sb600 flash,it will cost about 150dollars.
Tomorow i will call a seller to get some more information.
He write this:
"Flash is like new,very little used,amater.I have original bag a papers".

I was thinking to buy new metz 44 af-1 for may d3100(about 250$).
Some people said that the best is to put nikon flash on nikon body,but i can't buy sb700 because it is to much expensiv.
What do you think?

fotojack

How much is the SB-700 where you are? I have no idea where you are, because it isn't listed in your profile on the left! This is another reason why I ask people to fill out their profiles! It's hard to help someone if we don't know where they are on the planet, as prices vary all over the world.
As to your question about the SB-600........personally, I wouldn't buy it, as it is too complex to use. This is my personal opinion remember! Nothing wrong with a Metz flash. Very well made and have a great track record. What I always recommend to anyone looking for a flash is the SB-700 because of it's ease of use, what it comes with, and it's features.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm not a big fan of used flashes. Flash units have a finite lifetime, unlike a lens or other items you can buy used. Unless I knew for certain that the flash unit has a good amount of time left in it, I would avoid it and buy a new flash unit.

fotojack

@fotojack

sb700 is 300-350euro in my country
metz is about 200euro
and used sb600 is about 150euro

Thanks for the update on your whereabouts. :)

OK, so...now you have to decide on what will work best for your camera based on your budget. Remember...there's a reason the SB-600 is selling for a cheap price. :) While the SB-700 sounds like it's a little expensive in your country, it's still the best choice overall. However, based on your budget, go for the Metz. Better quality and easier to use than the SB-600.

sanjke

In my country used sb600 isn't cheap.

I contacted today seller of sb600 (about 100dollars) and he told me that his flash did't work so much,he will send me some pictures to see how the flash looks.
Will see tomorow.

Last edited:

sanjke

IMG_3974.jpgIMG_3971.jpg

crycocyon

I remember reading a comparison test of the Nikon SB flashes (like the sb-910 vs Metz vs Vivitar, etc.) and I was impressed by the big difference a flash makes in terms of color rendition in an image. Even if the camera is set for flash, the type of flash can greatly influence colors such as skin tones. At least from what I recall from the comparison, the higher end Nikon flashes are superb in terms of rendering true-to-life colors. As for myself I also plan to get a Nikon SB flash. I'd rather wait a bit longer to save up for a better flash than have something that will compromise either ease of useability (as mentioned) or image quality.