d7000 not focusing

daryl

hi i was given a nikon d7000 with 3 lens 1 of is a vrv 18-105mm dx but it will not focus in auto focus i can by hand but my eyes are not that good at the mo as had an op any help please thanks as you can tell new to photography

pedroj

Welcome to the forum...

If the other lens AF then there could be a fault with the AF motor in the lens or maybe it is in manual focus...

Dave_W

The Dude
Stupid question - do you have both auto-focus dials turn to AF and not manual? There's one on the body of the camera to the right side of the lens, approx 4 o'clock (if lens is facing you) and there's also a auto-focus switch on the lens itself. Check both places to make sure you have both turned on.

Rexer John

Does it have "AF-S" written on the lens?
AF-S have a focusing motor built into the lens.

If it has, and other lenses work correctly, then as Pedroj says, it's a fault on the internal motor or connections.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There are only two possibilities.

1- The contacts between this particular lens (I suppose your other lenses focus OK with this body) are dirty. You could try cleaning them with alcohol or a pencil eraser.

2- The focusing motor inside the lens is defective. In this case you would have to send it in for repair.

So I'd start with the cleaning. One more thing I'd try is to test it on another camera just to take your camera completely out of the equation.

Good luck