Not everyone is a Nikon Nerd

BackdoorArts

Was out and about today and stopped in Clinton, NJ to take some photos of their famous mill in the snow, as had several other photographers. One of them had a D800, which is what I was shooting with, and as I past him I made the comment, "Nice camera". He ignored me and it wasn't until I made a sufficient fuss about the day and the conditions that he acknowledged both me and my camera. Funny, but he could care less that I was shooting with a D800 as well, he cared more about my glass. He had some old manual 17-70mm f2.8 lens and snorted at my 16-35mm f4g and crossed the street.

There are certainly some people in this state who are determined to make sure it lives up to its reputation!! LOL

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Maybe he was a hill person that stole the camera from an executive. Did I ever mention I'm from Alabama? lol

NJMap.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
How funny! I had a similar experience yesterday when I was at the Salk looking to take some photos without shadows. While walking around the grounds I met a security guard who was carrying a D7000 w/ grip. Turns out he brings his camera with him everywhere and so we stood there and talked Nikon for nearly a half hour. I told him I didn't want to get him in trouble but he pointed to his radio and said he was working as long as his radio was on. Even funnier was the fact he was the stereotypical heavy set black guard with a white mustache and a deep gregarious voice.

Cowboybillybob1

Was out and about today and stopped in Clinton, NJ to take some photos of their famous mill in the snow, as had several other photographers. One of them had a D800, which is what I was shooting with, and as I past him I made the comment, "Nice camera". He ignored me and it wasn't until I made a sufficient fuss about the day and the conditions that he acknowledged both me and my camera. Funny, but he could care less that I was shooting with a D800 as well, he cared more about my glass. He had some old manual 17-70mm f2.8 lens and snorted at my 16-35mm f4g and crossed the street.

There are certainly some people in this state who are determined to make sure it lives up to its reputation!! LOL

I would not call him a nerd. Rude seems to fit the bill.

BackdoorArts

I wasn't calling him the nerd, that would be me - a nerd that escaped to the Hills before the lawyers, blacks, asians and old people converged on my former home. LOL

This guy was nice enough. An old man in absolute terms (not just relative), with barely a voice, who probably works in town and walks out to photograph the famous red mill fairly regularly. There's no camera shop in town, but as I walked through earlier I noticed a sign about photographs for sale inside a shop that had little to do with photography, so maybe he works there? He appeared two or three times in the hour I was walking around there, grabbing different light as the sun came out and the snow began melting.

Rick M

I seem to either run into talkative tourist types or folks with expensive rigs that don't want to talk. The seemingly "pros" are very caught up in the light and composition and don't want to chat.