EXIF data

Fred Kingston

Is it my imagination, or does the forum software strip out the EXIF data?

Part of the learning process is to understand/see what features are being used in creating a photo. That gets circumvented if the EXIF data is removed... I find myself spending less time looking at images because there is no EXIF data... sad.

BackdoorArts

Images loaded to the gallery store exif data in the gallery but not in the displayed image. Images uploaded to a thread, I believe, retain whatever exif data that the original jpeg has (some software seems to strip it off or mask it). If I were to link to anything but the original uploaded image on my Flickr account it would not retain the exif data either.

It's a bit of pot luck, but I agree with 100% regarding the desire to see it.

Fred Kingston

Additionally, if the EXIF data were present, with copyright notices, and author names, maybe folks would be less inclined to use these images without the owners permission...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Pics uploaded to the forum should retain exif data. Ones that are attached to the forum from an outside source may not contain exif data, depending on how they were processed and uploaded/resized.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Oh did you mean under the image? I thought you meant the data wss being stripped on upload.

This is definitely on my list of features to add. Someone didn't already make a plugin for vbulletin so this would have to be custom.

sent from my phone

Fred Kingston

No... I didn't mean displaying under the photos... If I right-click an image in the forum... I have an add-in that displays the EXIF data for the selected image... The add-in generates a Histogram of the image, and the embedded EXIF data... If there is no EXIF data in the image, it returns a message indicating there is no EXIF data for that image... otherwise it returns the EXIF data... Camera, lens, aperture, speed etc...

Several weeks back, maybe even a month or more... It worked fine... (admittedly, some images truly don't have EXIF data because Adobe products tend to strip the data after the image has been heavily edited...) But, for the majority... the forum images contained EXIF data...

Recently I passed the "No EXIF Data" off as just selecting images that truly didn't have any... But the more I look... Now I can't find any forum images that do have EXIF data... I can only conclude that something in the forum software changed... and now the EXIF data is either being stripped from the images that display in the forum posts, or the software is doing something to prevent the EXIF data from loading with the images...

The pertinent data would be nice to see displayed as you have on your to-do list, under the photo... but there's a lot of data, and what one person wants may not be what someone else wants...

So many times folks post photos, and ask for a critique, or comments, or what's wrong with their photos... and Senior members do a dance asking the poster to post pertinent data that's in the EXIF data... If the data were present, it would cut down on that back-and-forth dialogue because we could see what the issues are by simply looking at the EXIF data...

Kias

Yup, the exact date is 1/23/2013. That's the last day with EXIF data. I too have a right click add-in that display's the exif data.

You can see it in my Project 365 thread. Day 23 EXIF. Day 24 No EXIF.

Kias

That's ok, I thought I was the one hallucinating! Then I thought it was my plug-in, but it worked everywhere else. So, then I was back to thinking I was hallucinating again. :rolleyes:

WhiteLight

But is it even possible to add a standard feature across the site to show EXIF information for all images even in threads?
Not sure how (or even if it's possible) but maybe a plugin or something.
Uploaders can be given a choice while uploading the image if the exif data can be shown or not...

Horoscope Fish

But is it even possible to add a standard feature across the site to show EXIF information for all images even in threads?
Not sure how (or even if it's possible) but maybe a plugin or something.
Uploaders can be given a choice while uploading the image if the exif data can be shown or not...
I could be wrong about this but... I don't see how it would be possible for vBulletin to automatically extract EXIF data. I'm relatively familiar with vBulletin forum software and I really doubt that's an option even at at the Admin level. Might be better to simply create a sticky for how to find, copy and paste that information that posters could be directed to.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Is anyone finding exif when you click on the image to view the full size image? I'm thinking it may have something to do with the resizing for the thumbnails.

sent from my phone

Kias

I still don't get any exif data after clicking on them to get full size.

View attachment 29457

20130225-_1RB3088.jpg

20130216-_1RB2905.jpg

20130106-_1RB2226.jpg

Hmmm... Small, Medium, Large, Full. Still no data.

Attachments

• 20121224-_1RB1181_pp.jpg
    20121224-_1RB1181_pp.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Kias

Found this, maybe this will help you. I looked at my attachment list, and found on 1/23/13 (and before) the size of the file uploaded matches the size on my computer and there's EXIF data. 1/24/13 and after, the file size is much smaller and no EXIF data.

exif.jpg

Last edited: