A trip to the zoo......

STM

..........and no, I did not take a trip to DC, that is the Puzzle Palace. I stopped off at our zoo in Gulf Breeze this afternoon on the way home and snapped a few photos. Gorgeous day to be outside, 60 degrees and sunny. I really wanted some of the tigers but they were just sleeping under their shelter in the shade and like typical cats I tried to get their attention and all I got was a "what the hell do you want, can't you see I'm taking an nap? Piss off!" look. All shot with the D700 @ ISO 200. All, except the one of of the ostrich, which was shot with my 180mm f/2.8 AIS, were taken with the 600mm f/4 AIS. It allowed me to get in close and personal and the very shallow depth of field at f/5.6 blurred some busy backgrounds. That huge 2 foot long (with the lens shade) and 12 pound monster always draws quite a few stares and although I brought a monopod I just went ahead and shot everything handheld. Focusing that beast only takes your thumb anyway. And even though my microprism works just fine at f/4, focusing on the ground glass is almost just as easy since the depth of field is so shallow and the lens is contrasty. And if there is a specular highlight in the image somewhere it is really a snap, they pop right in. I was a little concerned about loss of contrast with the images because all, with the exception of the duck,were shot through fence. But it was so far out of focus with the beast that I guess it really did not affect things much. Love that classic glass!

This juvenile male lion and was playing with a stick (even kicking it with his back legs) like any ordinary domestic housecat would, very cute!

lion1_zpsf10b08ba.jpg

Lion2_zpsa3916e17.jpg

Spoonbill something or another. It's a bird with a stupid looking beak.

Spoonbill_zps833b1bbf.jpg

If you have never really looked at them up close, ostriches really are butt ugly birds. There was a huge pile of ostrich eggs just sitting out in the open, I don't know if they were real or props but you could make one epic omelet out of just one of them. You could probably feed a family of 4 just on one drumstick of these huge birds

Ostrich_zps173af651.jpg

There is always one in every crowd. Every single photo I took of this giraffe, the knucklehead had that nasty black tongue sticking out.....

giraffe_zps3cec76c0.jpg

Some kind of duck, who knows what kind. They pretty much all look the same to me but taste really good when broiled. You just never bite down too hard in case you did not find all the pellets.

duck_zps6c3fd2ee.jpg

Not really sure what the heck this is besides some huge rat named a Corrie or something like that. It is about as big as a medium sized dog

corry_zps61924859.jpg

My what lovely, bone crushing, flesh tearing teeth you have there Mr. Gator.....

gator_zpsb7114b91.jpg

Last edited:
We are lucky to have a great little Zoo in Montgomery which is only 10 miles from where I live. They have expanded it since I moved here 20 years ago and it is mostly a natural setting zoo with wide open spaces with a mix of animals in most enclosures. One of my favorite places to shoot

crycocyon

Those are great shots, very intimate. It would have been great to have a shot of you in action with that D700 and the 600 f/4 (which is a dream lens of mine). There's something about D700 photos that have a natural richness to them.

I almost ordered a used 180 mm 2.8 AIS today but got a zoom lens instead. What's your opinion on that 180? The ostrich photo looks tack sharp with nice bokeh.

STM

Those are great shots, very intimate. It would have been great to have a shot of you in action with that D700 and the 600 f/4 (which is a dream lens of mine). There's something about D700 photos that have a natural richness to them.

I almost ordered a used 180 mm 2.8 AIS today but got a zoom lens instead. What's your opinion on that 180? The ostrich photo looks tack sharp with nice bokeh.

The 180mm f/2.8 ED Nikkor is so sharp you have to wear heavy leather gloves when using it to keep from slicing your fingers open. It is pretty much my go to lens for outdoor portaiture if I have lots of room, because it is tack sharp at f/4 and throws the backgound way out of focus. And as you saw, the bokeh is buttery smooth. The ED version is a little sharper than the non-ED one, which I had before this one, because the ED glass eliminates color fringing, mostly in the corners, but on an 8x10 I doubt you would see the difference.

crycocyon

Your work using the 180 f/2.8 Ai-S with both the ostrich and your other recent model :cool: has me sold (and suitably inspired), so I just ordered one of those amazing lenses (second hand). :D

Scott Murray

They are great shots, but just a quick question have some been extra blurred in PS? as in a few I can see some edges that look off a little.