D300s to ??????

omegabri

Hi all

It appears that Nikon have left space for a top, fast DX model after releasing the D7100.

Personally I shoot DX but I'd like one for wildlife, and that has to be at least the fps of the old D300s. The D7100 is slower at 6 fps, so does this still mean a new camera in the background???
It would be lovely to see a new D300s (called what-ever.....) that has a fps of about 9 and maybe an even higher iso than the D7100

Any thoughts anyone!?!?!?

Bri...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
D3s?

If the D7100 doesn't appeal to you, you might have to wait much longer. However, the D7100 offers more resolution and cleaner images at higher ISO.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Brian you are asking the million dollar question regarding a pro-level replacement for the D300/D300s. The Nikon rumor and chat sites go back and forth. Canon appears to be about to release a high-end non-full frame camera. The general perception is that if they do so, it will pressure Nikon to respond. Additionally, Nikon Europe has given the clearest direction with a statement that, 'the D7100 is not positioned to replace the D300s as Nikon's flagship DX-format camera."

Personally, I almost pulled the trigger on a D7100 but have decided to wait to see if a true D300/D300s replacement appears later this year. If not, I am unsure what I will do if Nikon decides not to fill the obvious emerging high-end DX gap. What about you?

omegabri

I’m exactly the same!
The D300s shot at 7fps. I want to shoot wildlife, but retain DX to gain the most distance out of my lenses, but the D7100 has only 6fps.
My D90 with the power grip has 5fps I think!?!?

I’m not even too concerned about a high pixel count, but it would be nice to have slightly more than the D300s, and presumably a new camera would also be using the Exceed 3 technology and also have a higher ISO capability

I’ll be waiting to see what happens, but my 300mm f/2.8 on a fast FX body is 300mm, not 450mm on my DX body – meaning about £5k for the 500mm f/5 lens!?!? Can’t go there!!!

BackdoorArts

To me the issues isn't so much 1 fps but the D7100 buffer size that limits it to 1 second of 6 fps, but that's just me beating a dead horse.

I fully expect a successor to the D300 to emerge that takes the D7100 beyond the prosumer level. I just don't expect it to emerge before the fall.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm hoping you are right Jake. That we be ideal for me because it would give me time to acclimate to a new body prior to next year's (2014) vacation schedule.

Eddie

If there's no replacement for D300/s, most prob I'd go for D600.
But since its for wildlife, I'd stick to D300/s because of it's fps and it's 1.5 reach.
Give few months more or till end year. There might be a surprise from nikon ... :nevreness:

Last edited:

omegabri

If there's no replacement for D300/s, most prob I'd go for D600.
But since its for wildlife, I'd stick to D300/s because of it's fps and it's 1.5 reach.
Give few months more or till end year. There might be a surprise from nikon ... :nevreness:

The D600 is very good by all accounts, but you're right.....I want the fps and 1.5 reach on my lenses. 300mm at 450mm on DX and 600mm at 900mm is something I don't really want to loose going FX.
Fingers crossed for a nice fast fps, high ISO and shutter speed DX Pro model soon!! :)

Bri...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The D600 is very good by all accounts, but you're right.....I want the fps and 1.5 reach on my lenses. 300mm at 450mm on DX and 600mm at 900mm is something I don't really want to loose going FX.
Fingers crossed for a nice fast fps, high ISO and shutter speed DX Pro model soon!! :)

Bri...

Don't keep your fingers crossed. Just continue using your D300s like you did the first day you got it. It's still as good and I'm sure you still can make beautiful images with it. Of course we can wish for better things to come, but if Nikon's new offerings don't fill your wish list, then just forget about the NAS and take pictures with your present gear. When what you're looking for hits the shelves, then you'll have some money saved up just for it and you'll be able to be happy again for a while until you wish for something else better.

It's so easy to get caught into the gear thing and forget to take time to shoot pictures.

Enjoy your Nikons

omegabri

Don't keep your fingers crossed. Just continue using your D300s like you did the first day you got it. It's still as good and I'm sure you still can make beautiful images with it. Of course we can wish for better things to come, but if Nikon's new offerings don't fill your wish list, then just forget about the NAS and take pictures with your present gear. When what you're looking for hits the shelves, then you'll have some money saved up just for it and you'll be able to be happy again for a while until you wish for something else better.

It's so easy to get caught into the gear thing and forget to take time to shoot pictures.

Enjoy your Nikons

Problem is I only have a D90 but don't want to buy a D300s if a D400 (???) is going to be released. Makes sense to hang on a while I reckon...
I love my D90 but I'm pushing it to its limits when I'm out in the field

Bri.

Bukitimah

Once a while this question will always pops up with everyone of us. What to upgrade and frankly we do not know what we are looking for or what our current camera is not able to perform.

Maybe we should look at lenses if we really need to buy something. The better alternative, try shooting more with your existing gear and see how much more you can improve.

omegabri

All my lenses are Nikon Pro FX lenses (well, the infamous tripple f/2.8 zoom's), apart from my Nikon 50mm prime f/1.4, my 300 f/2.8 prime and my 105 prime f/2.8 macro. It's just my D90 body that I'm pushing up to it's limits now. However, my main issue is fps and fast iso noise when I'm shooting wildlife with my 300 or 600mm - but I don't want to go to a D300s for extra fps if its going to be replaced by a faster camera by next year with lower noise. My upgrade should last me a good 4 years hopefully, and will probably include 2 bodies for the field. My D90 copes with studio stuff and macro easily thankfully :)

Bri...

Eddie

about the 'reach', I'm with you
D90, D300, D7100 side-by-side comparison ... *LINK*

BTW ... your BIRD 22 is so cute ... it's like bagging for seeds ... :)

Last edited:

Geoffc

Why not get a used 300s and sell it at little loss when and if a replacement comes out? My wife is keeping hers for now rather than get a D7100, but then again she isn't a sucker for gadgets like me.

I've been using mine while the 800 is away being sorted and it has reminded me how good it is when not pushing the iso too hard. As Marcel said, it's still as good as when it was purchased. It's also great for handheld bracketed shots for HDR as 7fps keeps the movement low.