New to Nikon with a quick question.

GARoss

New to your forum, first post.

I'm researching moving up in the world to Nikon from Canon (sorry, did I just swear?!;)). It's going to cost me some to sell off my Canon 60D & lenses but feel I want the best I can afford. I know the D7100 is a huge step from the 60D, that's a given. But, before making such a large investment I must be certain that I'm not making the move too soon.

95% of what I do is photo but the other 5% is video & that's the sticky point with the 60D. While the video quality is good while shooting set shots, it's a nightmare without continuous AF & AE for anything that is moving. I believe newer Nikon's & the D7100 might have continuous AF & AE.

I know the D7100 has not been released yet but can anyone tell me if that is correct or share some of their experiences about Nikon's that do have continuous AF & AE?

Thanks in advance!

stmv

well yes,, it does contineous focus via contrast mode,, but mixed reveiws,, some still manually focus, I am not much a user of video, almost forget that it is there. Best bet is to search the web there are utube videos showing it in action, some people like, others dislike,, so,, like I said mixed.

BackdoorArts

Can't speak for the D7100, and I don't shoot video so hopefully others will chime in. I just did a quick test with my D600, since the D7100 is supposedly the DX equivalent, and while it didn't autofocus for me it definitely did adjust exposure. Now, it would autofocus each time I depressed the shutter button, and there's likely a setting in there that will allow me to adjust it (the D7100 description mentions AF-F mode in live view for movies, so it must adjust it). I have to say that in the quiet of my office the noise of the autofocus, while all but inaudible as I was doing it, is quite bothersome on playback. I suspect that might be reduced with an external mic since the camera mic is likely picking up noise through the body.

GARoss

Thanks. As I said, maybe 5% of my work is video, so not a lot but enough to dread using the 60D when I do. After all, it's a dslr first & video is a plus.

The 60D will focus & AE with a touch of the shutter button while in Live Mode but shifts the focus through all it's range before locking in. It takes 3-5 seconds to do so which is unacceptable.

The D7100 is new so little is on the web but I did find this on youtube. Also this for a D5100. By watching these I believe it is continuous AF & AE because it's shot from a scooter or motorcycle so the drive's hands would be occupied. Maybe in camera preferences?

Please check the links & tell me if you agree.

GARoss

Most videographers manual focus anyway... And set aperture to the DOF they want.

I can't speak for most videographers but I had my own videography company back in the early 2000s (mostly weddings) & we seldom used manual focus except when the subject was close to a bright object like a window. Seems the AF locked into focus brighter objects so manual was a must. I can certainly understand a production crew using manual focus but my needs are different.

Mark F

But... In 2000 you didn't use a dslr.
Video cameras have better and quieter auto focus along with a wider range of DOF. At least that's been my experience. Most people I know that use the video feature of a dslr use manual focus to overcome the noise and slop of the dslr focus motors

GARoss

Thanks mfaccone. I appreciate what you are saying. I am well aware of how relatively quiet my old Sony DV cam was compared to my DSLR. But noise isn't my concern. My post is asking about continuous AF & AE. I've shot with a wireless mic with my 60D & the sound is great. All I'm trying to do is find out if the D7100 has continuous AF & AE. I've missed too many ruined shots without it continuous AF & AE & if the D7100 has it, I'm interested. :)

In post #4 I have two links to samples of video shot with the D7100 & D5100. Has anyone viewed these?

Mark F

Need to change my forum name :)
I would think that if nikon made the d7100 with ae and/or af video that it would be big enough news to put it out there.
Personally, I think that could be implemented in a firmware upgrade once they figure it out.

GARoss

Hey, what's in a name? ;) I guess because video isn't a dslrs main function. DSLR video isn't discussed much by anyone. But, at Nikon's website there are function explanation tutorials covering all of their dslrs - including video focus & exposure. Newer models D3200 & D5200 do have a continuous AF & AE mode in preferences called AF-F. Select the D5200 link above & it will go the Nikon D5200 tutorial page. Select the 3rd tutorial down from the left Recording Movies/Recording & Viewing Movies & the 2nd chapter is Choosing a Focus Mode explains & demonstrates how it works & how to select it in preferences. I realize video would probably be much easier with a separate video cam but for my needs, video built into the dslr is just fine. If the D7100 includes AF-F consider it purchased!:D

D5200 AF-F.JPGD5200 Tutorial.JPG

Last edited: