Do you use lens VR?

Camera Fun

Do you find the vibration reduction mode useful? I would be the type to turn the camera off with the VR on and then have to remove & re-attach the lens as per the manual. Thanks.

Moab Man

Because the camera is perfectly stationary the camera may sense movement it sees as being camera movement and try to correct for it causing your picture to not be as sharp.

fotojack

I use the VR about 80% of the time hand held, depending on the subject matter, and NEVER on the tripod. There is no need to use Vibration Reduction on a tripod, as there is no vibration on the tripod.

VR on all the time ..even have the button taped up ....who says you dont get vibration on a tripod ? Well if the tripod is too heavy to lift you might not ...leave it on then you cannot forget to turn it on...

What tom says is quite true ( it usually is) but it implies that you make that on or off decision for every shot and situation ....sorry no time to do that so I leave it on ....1430 shots at last weeks wedding ..see no time to piss about

PS whats a tripod ..is that some old technology from the 1970s ?

Scott Murray

What tom says is quite true ( it usually is) but it implies that you make that on or off decision for every shot and situation ....sorry no time to do that so I leave it on ....1430 shots at last weeks wedding ..see no time to piss about

PS whats a tripod ..is that some old technology from the 1970s ?

I have lenses with new and old VR systems so it was a good read for me, I make the decision to turn on or off based on what I am shooting just like any other setting on the camera. I guess its the old auto/manual argument but for VR.

For your tripod question here is another article you can read to learn more - Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan hope it answers your question ;)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My primary lens is a 17-55 which doesn't have VR. I rarely use a tripod. I do try to ensure that I use good technique and be aware of my shutter speed.

BackdoorArts

I have to be honest and say that I really have to think about turning it off, even when I put on my bell bottom jeans and fu manchu and grab a tripod.

I've seen photographers shoot seamless panoramas shooting handheld, and others make a mess of them with a tripod, so personal technique will often dictate how and when you use the tools you've got. And so will shooting conditions. I would have to say that I use a tripod less than 10% of the time, though there's always one in the car, and often one strapped to my bag even if I'm not using it when I probably should have.

It's about knowing yourself and your needs as a photographer. I know that I'm happy for VR and would need to strongly consider what I'm gaining in a piece of glass if I buy one without it - especially anything over 35mm. Low light, long exposures, big landscapes and panoramas mean I'm grabbing legs or wishing I had them. When I don't or can't, I'm thankful for VR, even on my 16-35mm.

Epoc

If I want and can get I high shutter speed easily, it's off. Most other time, I leave it on. Off on a tripod as my tripod doesn't vibrate ;)

RON_RIP

Greatest invention since the Twinke, As I grow older I find the help invaluable, also too lazy to mess with tripod most of the time.

LouCioccio

From the old school never; I use doorways, trees, anything stationary, tripods, monopods even a 1/4 x 20 bolt and washer welded to the slot of the bolt tied with a string and looped to the toe of my shoe (Boy Scout way).
Pay attention to shutter speed ( 1/focal length) is usually the slowest that you can hand hold; and this is coming from 35mm and 120/220 roll film user.
I really feel VR gives a person a false sense of security. When I shoot fireworks, its tripod and 2s delay of the shutter (to minimize camera shake) and timing of the fire works.

Here is one no VR I think taken in 2009 , sorry not a Nikon dig owner at that time.
Ciao,
Lou Cioccio.
It was kit lens??
Date Time Original: 2009:07:04 21:42:12
Digital Zoom Ratio: 1
Exposure Mode: Manual exposure
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Time: 2.5
FNumber: 14
Focal Length: 40
Gain Control: None
ISO Speed Ratings: 100