need some criticism

cookstarcarolyn

Hi all...I would like to enter this picture in a photo contest...any suggestions on how to improve it at all??? Be honest..is it contest material?? Thanks:)

Carolyn

Attachments

• 146 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    146 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 239

calseal

Hi. It is an interesting composition of a not very interestin subject. I would have liked to have seen the top splash which would have ment tilting the camera up to get the entire splash. Go ahead and enter your photo and see where it goes. Cal seal

Joseph Bautsch

Good shot concept and great color. That little touch of yellow in all that green works as a great attention grabber. Very well exposed catching the splash in stop motion. A good feeling of depth. But if I were a judge looking at this picture I would fault it for the wrong format. The dominant lines of the composition are vertical and you have a scenic or horizontal format. I also would fault it for, as stated above, cutting off the splash and also cutting off the bottom of the glass. It's kind of like taking a picture of a person and cutting off the top of their head and the feet at the ankles. As it stands the glass is a major object in the composition and all of it needs to be included. Or, another option, you could cut the glass off just below the lemon and concentrate the shot from the lemon up to the top of the glass and the splash. I think that would make the glass secondary to the main subject, the lemon dropping into the liquid, and the splash coming up from it. I would still shoot it in a vertical format. To me the background green is a little too bright and a little distracting from the main subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fotojo

Hi Carolyn
Joseph has given you some very good advice. For what it is worth, I agree with the composition comment. The whole glass with the top splash would have added more to the shot. You did have a great capture. I really like the shot in general and the concept is cool; the crop just keeps jumping out. A long winded answer to your question, but you have a great photo, so go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Yup, I would have to agree entirely with Joseph on this one, Carolyn. I, too, think it's a very cool shot, but with too much green all over the place. Maybe if the green background wasn't there...............

Merc

I would also agree with Joseph. I also find the green background a little distracting and the water droplet on the outside of the glass keeps drawing my eye to it. It may be my eyes...It is late here, 00-05 but it looks like it is slightly leaning to the left.

The timing, lighting and shutter speed are perfect.