Monthly Newsletter?

Would you like a Nikonites monthly newsletter?

• Yes

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Would you like to see a monthly newsletter that highlights popular topics, challenge/assignment winners, and other Nikon news? Vote above.

RockyNH_RIP

John, voted "maybe".. Yes, I think it would be good.. maybe is based on wondering how much effort etc... and will it provide more info than we have or just a more convemient place...

If it was produced, I would read it...

Pat in NH

§am

I would be interested in learning exactly what is included in the newsletter, as some things may be a bit old in a month, and for the regulars we might see it today, but not get a newsletter 'til the end of the month :)

BackdoorArts

I'm here so often that I don't know what would be included that I hadn't already seen, though the blogs here are often not a place I think to go to and if they were highlighted monthly that would be a nice reminder - and maybe an encouragement for people to start posting them?

We have some amazing photographers here on the forum that have a wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to have different ones here write short How-to articles on their strong points. It needs to be more than just a rehash of what is on the forum. Article as main attraction, poster of the month bio, highlights of the month.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The main purpose would be to get people involved that aren't on the site every day, so maybe it wouldn't be for everyone. There are currently about 900 active members out of 13k. Some of those are junk accounts (spam) while others are just inactive members.

I wouldn't want to put anything in the newsletter that isn't also on the site. If anything, it would be a snippet, then 'read more...'

theregsy

Sounds like a good idea to me, I know I was out of the loop for a while and I would have welcomed the opportunity to catch up and see what was happening. So its gets a yes from me, not only that but I know that people in different times zones are active at different times and its easy to miss posts when people are busy so its all good, as long as no one gets stuck doing hours of work in their otherwise free time :)

Dooku77

There could be great columns from the veterans on gear, camera settings, etc. there could be a photo of the month. There's lots of great possibilities here. I would like to see the newsletter happen.

Photo Joe

I like the idea of having snippets of information and then redirecting people back to the entire post. In addition to maybe having a couple of the long-time members take turns at doing features on products or tips and tricks of the trade. Or, just another idea, maybe have each newsletter have a specific theme to it.

Moab Man

Having been in the magazine business, there is so much I see here in this forum that various members could contribute to a newsletter that would make it both incredible and a useful read. To keep it from becoming too big a chore make it a two month issue. Monthly deadlines can be a bear (see how I used a nice word,, but didn't want to).

Issue 1: Mar - Apr
Nikon Pipeline - Latest and greatest point and shoot P330
Street Photography by RickSawThat - Tips for capturing facial expressions on the move; lens and technique
It's Not the Camera - Pro photographer _______ takes the D3100 out for a spin and shows you what the camera is capable of and how he/she achieved the shots
Shot in the Dark - How do you achieve sharp focus when you can't see?

I could go on and on, but this would be a great format every other month and draw from the expertise that resides here that is willing to contribute. From my time here I have seen many with a teachers spirit.

Hope this helps in some way.

DTigga

I'm all for it. However I'd like to see some articles which are exclusive to the newsletter. Perhaps an interview with particular members. We all come from very different backgrounds, it would be great to get an insight into the lives of some of our members (voluntarily of course).
I've been involved with newsletters in the past. They started of as monthly, then bi-monthly, then quarterly, then bi-annually, then forgotten. As long as there are a group of people willing to take ownership of it, it will work.

Dave_W

The Dude
"Make it so, Number 1" :D

Captain-Picard-1.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
So yeah, I'll have to give this some thought. Being consistent and relevant with things like this is difficult.