Camera Choice Dilemma.

Cowboybillybob1

Please bear with me. I really do not know what to do.

My son is a freshman at SVA (School of Visual Arts in NYC, NY). He is interested in film editing and this is a great well known college for that kind of stuff. He has a crummy camera that does HD Video and uses it quite often.

I just recently gave him my D3200 along with the kit lens and a Nikkor 55-200 zoom. The D3200 does much better video than what he uses now. I am glad I gave it to him. I was not using it much since I got a D7000 about 6 weeks ago.

I plan on upgrading to the D7100 and am eagerly waiting for its release later this month. I had planned on trading in the D7000 when I make the purchase. I am sure the trade in will be a low value. Definitely less than $600. I know I can get more if I sell it privately but that's a hassle to do. I have never sold anything on my own except for a car and that sucked.

Even though something of a newbie I like the idea of having a backup even though I won't use it much.

So should I just buy the D7100 and keep the D7000 as a backup or trade it in for like $400 to $500.

How much do you all think a used D5100 would cost. Body only, don't need anyglass right now. I would probably never use it.

Maybe just deal with no backup until such time, if ever, I have a real need forone.

Thanks for letting me ramble on it's just that I can't stop thinking of it. I have been bit by the photo bug big time.

Last edited:

Ironwood

Good used D7000's are still fetching a good price on Ebay over here.

Might be worth watching a few on Ebay over your way to see if its worth putting yours on there and selling that way.

I am hoping to do that with my D3100 when the time comes, but the price of them seems to be dropping now unfortunately.

I am also thinking about a D7100 instead of the D600 that I have been saving for, but I am going to wait for a month or so after they have been released before I decide which way to go.

RockyNH_RIP

Please bear with me. I really do not know what to do.

My son is a freshman at SVA (School of Visual Arts in NYC, NY). He is interested in film editing and this is a great well known college for that kind of stuff. He has a crummy camera that does HD Video and uses it quite often.

I just recently gave him my D3200 along with the kit lens and a Nikkor 55-200 zoom. The D3200 does much better video than what he uses now. I am glad I gave it to him. I was not using it much since I got a D7000 about 6 weeks ago.

I plan on upgrading to the D7100 and am eagerly waiting for its release later this month. I had planned on trading in the D7000 when I make the purchase. I am sure the trade in will be a low value. Definitely less than $600. I know I can get more if I sell it privately but that's a hassle to do. I have never sold anything on my own except for a car and that sucked.

Even though something of a newbie I like the idea of having a backup even though I won't use it much.

So should I just buy the D7100 and keep the D7000 as a backup or trade it in for like $400 to $500.

How much do you all think a used D5100 would cost. Body only, don't need anyglass right now. I would probably never use it.

Maybe just deal with no backup until such time, if ever, I have a real need forone.

Thanks for letting me ramble on it's just that I can't stop thinking of it. I have been bit by the photo bug big time.

Choices, choices Paul!! The best part is you are in a position to make the choices... a couple thoughts...

I always like redundancy... I have 2 (sometimes 3) motorcycles. If one is in the shop, I can still ride!! Having said that, I only have a P&S and 1 DSLR.

Would 2 cameras be nice?? I think so, but I am not there yet.. You can only decide that for you. I would want them to be "similar" so that I did not have to re-invent the wheel... if I had a 7000 and was looking at a 7100.. I may consider keeping both.

Trade in or not and value??? How much can you afford, that is a personal descision... If you are stretching to get the 7100, selling off the 7000 may be prudent...

You mentioned 5100! I have one and love it... If I bought a 7000, I may keep it... If I had a 7000, would I step back to buy a 5100 as a backup?? Not likely and I love mine... I would look to be equal or stronger...

Good luck with your choices... and enjoy!

Pat in NH

Photo Joe

If you just got the D7000 6 weeks ago, I'd hate to let it go already. Are there specific features in the D7100 that would cause you to upgrade so soon? I guess my vote would be to go with keeping the 7000 and getting a used 5100 or get a fx body, but it all depends on what you want to use the cameras for. Either way, it sounds like you'll be getting some new gear ... and that's always a good thing :)

Rick M

I think you answered your own question. Why do you need a backup anyway?

I would not sell the D7000 to buy a D5100, you won't get much out of that deal.

If it were me I would sell the D7000 if I needed it towards the D7100, or buy more glass.

As far as a backup, I'm considering the new Coolpix 330 P&S for a pocket camera, shoots raw and would compliment my DSLR instead of competing with it.

Last edited:

RRRoger

Sell the D7000
The D7100 is an upgrade in nearly every way
However, get "Hands On" first.
You might like the cheaper D5200 with articulating screen or FullFrame D600 better.

Last edited:
how is the 7100 an upgrade in every way over the 7000 ?
more waterproof yes
lock on dial ..yes
low light almost the same .....
but only 18% increase in resolution.....you need 4x the pixels to double the resoluton

BackdoorArts

So by your logic 18% more petrol in your tank for the same money wouldn't be an upgrade on your purchase? It's about the equivalent "upgrade" that you got going from the D80 to the D90. Your house must be full of split hairs, eh? ;)

The guy has a D7000 so what he spends to get to a D7100 gives him 18% in resolution and little else.....his money his choice ...why go off your trolley ???

RRRoger

how is the 7100 an upgrade in almost every way over the 7000 ?
more waterproof yes
lock on dial ..yes
low light almost the same .....
but only 18% increase in resolution.....you need 4x the pixels to double the resoluton

The D7000 was/is a great camera and I doubt that without extensive pixel peeping that you can tell the difference in the images produced.
The 1/3 crop of D7100 is only slightly less MegaPixels than the D7000, so you now can get more reach.

The AF was/is very good, the D7100 is better and faster, especially in low light.
The movie modes are better. You can now record 1080P at 30fps with "clean" HDMI out.

well I dont want any video function and the 1.3 crop is a con ...no different to taking it full DX frame and cropping ...in fact you got more chance of getting that flying bird inside the larger frame !!!

for what I do which is only weddings there is very little upgrade in a D7100 as I dont have problems with quaity or low light and a D800 is too slow ..I need U1 U2 A and P for fast access not menu work.

Last edited:

Mark E

Just got the D7100 yesterday so haven't used it much. Took a few pics around the house and sent to friends not telling them I had a new camera. The response I got back from each was how vivid the colors were. Was using the 18x200DX on the D7100. I am impressed.

RRRoger

well I dont want any video function and the 1.3 crop is a con ...no different to taking it full DX frame and cropping ...in fact you got more chance of getting that flying bird inside the larger frame !!!

for what I do which is only weddings there is very little upgrade in a D7100 as I dont have problems with quaity or low light and a D800 is too slow ..I need U1 U2 A and P for fast access not menu work.

The 1/3 crop works very well for me because I take too many pictures to post process every one of them.
The crop shows up as a reduced square area in the Viewfinder so taking picture of little birds in flight is just as easy.

The D800 is definately not to slow for weddings.
If you have to "Spray & Pray", you had better get a D3 or D4

However, if the D7000 "works for you", why upgrade.
Buying the best used glass is a much better investment.

FAPhoto

Just got the D7100 yesterday so haven't used it much. Took a few pics around the house and sent to friends not telling them I had a new camera. The response I got back from each was how vivid the colors were. Was using the 18x200DX on the D7100. I am impressed.

Yes indeed.

I am also impressed with the colors and quality.

I can't wait to buy a 50mm 1.8G lens.

crycocyon

The D7000 is a great camera, and I would personally keep it as a backup. I did a shoot the other day and found myself using the D7000 a lot more than the D800 because it is so fast and consistently good and, well, I don't yet have a zoom lens for the D800 ( ;) ). Even when I eventually get a D600, I think I'll want to keep the D7000.