Let's horse around

snaphappy

I didn't want to clutter up Pierro's thread so thought maybe we could start a new thread and all add our favourite equine photos
I took this today and it makes me smile. I called Shylo's name and glad I had the camera all set and ready. It's pretty bad when even the horses groan when they see you with a camera...
NIK_7443.jpg

soaking up the sun
DSC_0476.jpg

My new horse Smokey
NIK_3802-1.jpg

Here's some oldies before I knew what thirds was and was just snaphappy :)
DSC01622-2.jpg

My girl and her horse
DSC01602.jpg

Wish I done a better job on these photos :(
DSC00350-1.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

frosty pony
DSC06214-1.jpg

DSC09691-1.jpg

DSC09598.jpg

Just checking to see if you notice anything odd...

My first horse now gone to greener pastures but she was a wonderful old girl
DSC06113.jpg

teaching new daughter the joy of riding
DSC07424.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
Old horse photo I made in 2010 with a Contaflex...lots of things wrong with this one but one of these days I am going to make a competent horse snap... :)

snaphappy

Wow brave horses Alan I've seen photos of things that lurk in Florida waters just like that!

Nikonpup only the first 3 pics are recent the rest are oldies. The mare in the last 2 photos passed 18mnths ago and I really regret not having a great photo of her. In the 1st pic I think Martin (the alpaca) looks like he's running away screaming from my camera :) Not a photo that will win awards but makes me smile.

I'm not a pro just snaphappy so looking forward to others pretty ponies :eek: Pierro had a couple lovely photos so maybe he has some more...

Eye-level nice relaxed horse soaking up the rays with both nostrils flared :cool:

Last edited:

STM

Horses are such beautiful animals and you have some great shots here. I love the expression on the first horse. It is as if it is getting ready to say "I see you went for the CHEAP oats again!"

snaphappy

Eye level I went to bed thinking about your horse photo and wondering what you wish had been different? It looks a little soft around the shoulder but I'm assuming that it's from scanning your photo. I ask so that I can learn because it looks like a nice photo to me :)

Eye-level

Banned
1) I don't like having a horizon line running through the middle of the snap

2) There is not enough room/space in front of the horse and he is positioned such that he is sort of leaving the picture frame instead of coming into it.

3) It is sort of washed out in a few places.

4) His rear hooves look cropped off to me.

I have a hard time with horses for some reason. :)

I shot them today real fast when I was leaving for work...I'll post those after while...

snaphappy

Oh this thread got lost for me somehow Eye-level I didn't realize you posted a pic and great response to my question

#1 is going to be very difficult with horses being so tall you'd have to be down on the ground or lower than them somehow or above them hmmm Oh I guess if you had a large building or something large (mtns??) close behind that would prevent the middle horizon line right?

#2 it is a bit closer to the right than the left but the horse is turned in your direction so doesn't that give you a bit of leeway on that rule?

#3 it is a little soft (???) but I thought It might be because of scanning uploading etc. Although that grey horse should look soft I think

#4 hooves if properly cared for wouldn't be cropped but they would be very near the bottom so another great thing for me to watch for as I chopped a few pics at the knees Oops

Ok so my first three new pics don't work for those rules but my Grey spotted butt horse pic with the bird on his back would be better if horizon wasn't in the middle (and in better focus LOL)

How about the horizon line on the next one down my daughter and her brown mare? I was up on a hill so horizon isn't right in the middle? Should not have cut of tree tops though I know Oops :)

I think the rest all broke every one of your rules hahaha Ah well I'm looking forward to the melt so I can get the blubbery beasts away from the hay and get to work. This deep hard packed snow and ice is not getting us out of the paddocks

The paint over the fence is lovely. I was never a fan of paint horses because my eye likes symmetry which is probably why I struggle so much with thirds. I also always struggle with where to cut horses off in the pic so that I don't lose the look in the eyes. He (can't tell for sure but face looks like it) looks like he'd be fun to ride :) The things I look for when I look at in a horse photo is the eyes and the ears. The position of the ears can tell quite a bit about what the horse is thinking and the eyes are what draw us to them.

Thanx Eye-level I have some excellent things to look for in my next equine photos :)

Eye-level

Banned
Horses are difficult for me...deer are impossible! lol I caught a small herd of 9 or so this morning at 50 - 100 yards with the 105 and film we'll see how they turn out...no meter no AF nothing just me, the light, the deer, and the camera manually focused. A snapshot for sure probably nothing spectacular. I may try the horses again tomorrow just to finish out the roll. :)

snaphappy

Excellent horse photos Sambr Love the first one with the trees behind like that. Your deer are doing a much better job of following the title Bwahahaha