Johnathan's 2013 when ever posts..

Johnathan Aulabaugh

As many of you might know I am often on the road and never seem to be able to post as regular as I want to. So I will be posting as often as I can but not as much as I wish I could. I took all of these Friday.

DSC_4312.jpgDSC_4366.jpgDSC_4428.jpgDSC_4435.jpgDSC_4513.jpgDSC_4657-Edit.jpgDSC_4686.jpg

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Hey Rick, Thanks for the compliment. The giraffe was 1/1000 @ f9 and ISO 1600. The lens setup was a 70-200 w/ a 2x telecon. I would have preferred a lower ISO but the clouds were not being very helpful except for they also gave me a lot softer light so it was a good compromise. Between you and Jake here talking about the D600 I am near the breaking point though. that D600 is looking better and better.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

DSC_5137.jpgDSC_5149.jpgDSC_5170.jpgDSC_5218.jpgDSCN8161-Edit.jpg

I took the bird shots this morning on a little walk I took and then was doing some product photography this evening and decided to get a little artsy with one of the shots. The bird shots are all shot with either my D90 or D7000 and the last pic is with a Nikon P7100.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Nice pictures Jonathan..
Maybe you could format them for easy viewing? :)

And am interested in knowing what the last image is?
to view the images it is simple to just click on it and it will bring it up in the fullest size I allow on the web. I prefer to upload direct to this site vs uploading to flickr or photobucket and then linking it to here.
The last image is the Grand Tetons in what is sometimes referred to as a pano pipe. if I had done it the other way some call it a mini world because it gives the illusion of a little round world where you can make out specific qualities in the landscape.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

JDA_5700-Edit.jpgJDA_5592.jpg
My comp was at the Dr for a few so I was not able to do much editing or anything. I took the portrait today testing a new piece of glass. took the truck pick with a piece of glass that I am returning next week.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I ended up getting the 16-35 f4 VR. It is extremely sharp and the first time I have been able to hand hold down to 1/20 and get sharp shots. I didnt test lower... yet.
I had bought the 17-55 f2.8 but after shooting with it at the car show I really was not happy so I am returning it, also it is a DX lens and I was a little wary of not getting a lens that I could grow with. I also stuck the 16-35 on the D600 for a bit in the store just to make sure I liked it and was near amazed. That said, no not get this lens if you use your pop up flash, this lens is long and you will end up with half moon shapes in your frame. other than that after a half day of shooting with it I am pretty dang happy so far. Now I just need a FF camera that will really show if the ability. Bodies come and go but a lens CAN be forever.

Rick M

Good choice! I'm waiting to see some reviews on the new 18-35. Good idea to get into Fx glass, you know you can only hold that Fx bug down so long :)

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Good choice! I'm waiting to see some reviews on the new 18-35. Good idea to get into Fx glass, you know you can only hold that Fx bug down so long :)

yeah I have always bought Fx glass and I had decided to go ahead and try the 17-55 since it was rated so well as a Dx lens. I kind of broke my own rule and ended up being sorry for it. I am thinking of selling my D90 and a set of Nike golf clubs that I will probably never get to use again since my injury last year to partially buy the D600. I hate to sell off the D7000 since it has been a good camera for me and it scares me to go to a 1 camera kit. So far I am really happy with the 16-35. I know I loose a stop of ability but in some ways the addition of VR makes this a very usable low light contender and on the D600 I look for this lens to just blow me away.