So Pissed off with nikon (UK focus exhibition)

Got there early very few on the stand D7100 waiting for me and the bastards had blocked off the SD slots and would not let me put in a card to take a photo ( of my mini test chart) to take home and examine...The D7100 has been drop tested onto the counter I was so mad....

They can go jump.

Sambr

Not uncommon to block off the cards, they have no idea who you are and what kinda crap you could insert to compromise the performance of the camera. Just makes sense. And of course if you are that pissed off - buy a Canon :)

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Sambr makes a great point. These things go through so many hands that there's nothing to stop someone who is needlessly angry with Nikon Europe from screwing with what purports to be the new top of the line DX camera. So rather than joining the ranks of the needlessly (and apparently constantly) angry and droptesting a new camera, perhaps it would be beneficial if you pulled a rep aside, explained the extent of and reason for your interest, and asked if you could possibly set up a time to test drive the camera for real?

stmv

It does seem like Nikon is going to extreme lengths to not get the analysis out prior to the first orders, forcing to buy the camera sight unseen.

I guess the marketing genius of Nikon think this is a benefit, but it could really backfire if the sensor does not live up to expectation. Like they are hiding something.

I like sport cars and motorcyles too,, and they always make sure to give out samples to the big magazines prior to product launch. I mean prior to the D700, great articles were written, and I was very comfortable buying it.

I personally (if I was in the market for a 7000 replacement), would hold off until the definitive word on this camera.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

There have been images from the camera made available on several sites, including Nikon France's Flickr page (I've posted links in another thread), so I don't know that they're "hiding" anything. I can type "Nikon D7100 Hands On Review" or "Nikon D7100 Sample Images" into Google and find plenty of information. It's not an avalanche, but it's something. Given the nature of the blogosphere I cannot fault any company for being careful about who gets their hands on one of these beforehand as much ado can be made out of one person's complaint. I fully suspect that by April 1 there will be plenty of information that will help anyone make an informed decision. No one is being forced to buy anything sight unseen, just the option.

I already compared the D3200 with the D7000 and the D7000 was just ahead..I need my own test chart and controlled conditions ..I dont buy a couple till I test it so they can go jump...I wont tell you Hogans reaction to this fiasco as it was in a private e mail....

§am

Having been to the same show (Focus on Imaging) yesterday, I can say I was more than happy with Nikon letting me test the D7100, even with one of my own lenses (all be it for a warranty related query).

The Nikon reps had access to a whole array of bodies (D3200, D5200, D600, D7100, D4, D800 from what I remember), and also more lenses than I can possibly remember too. All you had to do was say, can I try this lens on this body, or can I now try this lens on a different body, or this body with this lens first and then that one after - and they would happily let you do that with little to no time limits on how long you 'played' with the equipment.

Most people treated the equipment with the care and common courtesy you'd expect, and having spoken to at least three different reps, the D7100s they had on display were not final manufacturing versions. One was actually on a beta firmware, another was a non RTM body, and they were also keen to point out, that the reasons they had these D7100s there was to ensure people got a good exposure to them as they were close to the final RTM versions.

They did the same last year when the D800 was introduced, and I remember from the hands on demos they allowed people then, that the reps had said, no one was allowed to use their own memory cards as any images were not being recorded on RTM versions of the camera, and because there was a possibility that people could potentially start placing review based on non-RTM kit, it would make Nikon look bad.
I'm guessing exactly the same reasoning is in use here for the D7100.

wonderfull but I did not want to change lenses...I use the 18-105 at 50 mm as my standard and my same test chart at 10 ft

so with 17 days to go they dont have a standard working model on display???

Great.

stmv

I read several of these "hands on reviews" and they have all the same detail without really taking pictures.

Here is an example conclusion from a site:
Value For Money - The Nikon D7100 is introduced with an RRP of £1099, which is the same introduction RRP price of the D7000 when it was announced in 2010, or alternatively £1299 with the Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens. We will be conducting our full review of the D7100 as soon as the camera is available.

Nikon has published a number of sample photos on the Nikon website.

So, Nikon seems to allow these sites to publish all the cool features, but really really detail
deep dives into the images, no. I seem to remember for the d80->D700 this was not the case, but starting with the D800 or somewhere, Nikon marketing has shifted to that mode.

I am sure it is a awesome camera, just like the D800 was awesome, but ..... we will have to wait until post release to get the scoop on just how much better is it than the D7000 or even the current consumer top model of the D600.

STM

So instead you take a chance on damaging the store's camera just because you could not put a card in it? Not exactly the most mature of things to do. Have you tried anger management?

Last edited:

§am

So glad I attended on the first day.
And it wasn't even a store camera where you may get less traffic/footfall. It was at one of Europe's largest photography exhibitions.

Out of interest - why use the 18-105mm lens at 50mm, when you could probably get better images by using a good prime like the f/1.4 or f/1.8?

Mark F

So instead you take a chance on damaging the store's camera just because you could not put a card in it? Not exactly the most mature of things to do. Have you tried anger management?
I was going to say something... but I'm the new guy in the room. :)
Why would you get angry about a new updated camera body? I'm always amazed at people. I have the new d600... but I really wish I could take pictures like Adam Ansel or my neighbor who still uses an old Brownie.
Its not the camera body.. its the photographer, and possibly the lenses ( or the understanding of the limitations )

STM

I was going to say something... but I'm the new guy in the room. :)
Why would you get angry about a new updated camera body? I'm always amazed at people. I have the new d600... but I really wish I could take pictures like Adam Ansel or my neighbor who still uses an old Brownie.
Its not the camera body.. its the photographer, and possibly the lenses ( or the understanding of the limitations )

Hey, we're all friends here, but stupid is stupid, so don't be afraid to speak up. That was a very immature thing to do, something a little kid would do when they were throwing a temper tantrum. Had he damaged the camera or especially the lens to point that it would not function properly, that would have been stupid on so many levels.

STM

I don't know - seems pretty consistent with character displayed elsewhere here.

Concur. Looking at his posting history and his other comments here, I would say that his initial post was pretty apropos. It takes all kinds I guess. I guess I know who to never let borrow any of my gear!

God am I glad some of you are not on a jury ...reading between the lines and making assumptions..
Lets try this to illustrate how your minds work..
Backdoor ...Gay
Hippie...takes drugs

See just not true

Pist...drunk all the time
Broke ....lives on benefit

See jut not true

I must admit it hit the counter a bit harder than expected but drop testing is a semi humourous engineering term for o shit it dropped out my hand ..some of you need to get a life outside photography...
I need to buy two ..thats about $2000 after 7000 sales or I keep the 7000 they go down less than $150 each in the next 12 months .....cheap for 20,000 wedding photos. Now if the 7100 is not substantially better than the 7000 with the lens I use ...why buy ....hence test dont guess

Last edited:

§am

God am I glad some of you are not on a jury ...reading between the lines and making assumptions..
Lets try this to illustrate how your minds work..
Backdoor ...Gay
Hippie...takes drugs

See just not true

Pist...drunk all the time
Broke ....lives on benefit

See jut not true

I must admit it hit the counter a bit harder than expected but drop testing is a semi humourous engineering term for o shit it dropped out my hand ..some of you need to get a life outside photography...
I need to buy two ..thats about $2000 after 7000 sales or I keep the 7000 they go down less than $150 each in the next 12 months .....cheap for 20,000 wedding photos. Now if the 7100 is not substantially better than the 7000 with the lens I use ...why buy ....hence test dont guess

I would tread very VERY carefully with those type of comments!!!

Take a step back, look at your OP and the successive comments you made, then put on your "I'm not pistnbroke" hat and re-read it, and the only assumptions that can be made are quite clear.

On a lighter note, I need to ask you a few non-topic related questions, but will take that offline to PM :)

As I have said before Pistnbroke comes from my knowledge of vehicles where I post under the pistnbroke name and refers to pistons that are broke