Upgrade to which camera body?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Currently I own 2 Nikon D90 camera bodies and am looking to upgrade one of them (I will be giving one of these to my nephew along with a few lenses). I tried out a D7000 but do not like the overly easy sub command dial that I tend to bump while in Aperture Priority plus the camera has focusing issues. :(

I've decided I don't want to exchange it for another D7000 (only have had it for a week). So I am looking at either getting a D7100 or a D600. Yes, I realize these are 2 very different cameras (DX vs. FX) with many different features. All but one of my lenses are full frame (the DX lens will go to my nephew) so that shouldn't be an issue. What are the pros/cons of choosing either? Thank you for any information! :D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The D600 is a wonderful camera but you have to know that it will cost you $$$$ to get the great lenses that would make it shine. How large do you print? What is it that you don't like about your D90?

It's impossible for now to evaluate the D7100 since it's not yet available.

Have you thought about a D300s?

Just food for thought.

AC016

You have not really told us what you like to photograph - what genre? This would help anyone who may suggest a camera for you. What would your reasons be to upgrade to FX? Why are you not happy with your D90? As Marcel said, you are looking at spending alot of money if you were to go with the D600. Anyone on here can say go with such and such a camera just because they have it and it suits them. But, does that mean it suits you? I suggest you do extensive research on each camera and see which one matches up to your style of shooting.

BackdoorArts

I have both a D90 and a D7000 and find their form factor to be nearly identical, so I find it particularly odd that you have an issue with the Subcommend Dial. I don't find mine to be any easier to move than the D90's so perhaps you just tried out an over-worn example?

Not much to add to Marcels comments. The D600 is a superb camera, and having made the jump to FX I am forever spoiled by the image quality and can't see moving back. The D300 may be a wonderful DX camera, but given its price point and age the jump to a D600 for only about $200 more seems like a no brainer.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
BackdoorHippie, as far as the sub command dial, I've tried 3 new d7000's all from different dealers, and all have the same problem with the sub command dial being too easy. I took one of my D90's into the store to A/B against both a used and new D7000, and even the salesperson was surprised at the difference. My back-up D90 has a very low shutter count (@100) so its sub command dial has barely been used. Both of my D90's have the same amount of resistance on the sub command dial...a little resistance without being too hard to move. The D7000's that I tried have all been so easy that the slightly bump alters them. Lastly, I called Nikon's customer support, and they said the sub command dial on the D7100 is the same as the D7000.

I used to do a lot of 35mm work so it's been an adjustment dealing with the crop factor of the DX. Portraits are my main source (individuals and families) but I also do some volunteer work most of which involves low light and a telephoto lens. For my own enjoyment, I like landscapes and wildlife. The shutter sync speed is also a factor. On the D600, the sync speed is 1/200 while the sync speed of the D7100 is 1/250. Image size is also a consideration especially for enlargements. I do want to upgrade to more pixels so the D300s really isn't a contender.

It's only been recently (past year) that I've gotten back into photography as I made a career change (medical reasons). The weight of the camera is a factor due to weakness in my arms, but the D600 is still under consideration. I use a tripod whenever possible (and I don't do weddings although I get asked).

So still hoping to hear some feedback and constructive criticism about pros/cons of either. Thanks! :)

stmv

I have the D7000, and yes, I have accidently bumped the dial a few times, Looks like it has been fixed on the new 7100, since you are upgrading, why not go for the new 7100, a solid upgrade for your D90 for a reasonable cost.

If you have 2K sure, brain dead ,, get the 600.

BackdoorArts

Not much of a weight difference between the D90, D7000 and D600, so if that's a factor then at least you have that input. The D800, on the other hand, is a hefty beast, so if you're going to consider FX then you have only one option. If image size is a factor as well then I would say that the D600 may be your best bet. Same number of MP's as the D7100 but with a bigger sensor, so that's a bonus.

I went back and you are indeed correct about the stiffness of the subcommand dial on the D90. Alas, my D7000, D600 and D800 all have the same feel, so no matter where you go I believe you're going to have to adjust to it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I opted to go for the D600. The sub command dial is easy on the D600, too, but there is a more resolute 'click' when the dial moves from point to point whereas the D7000's sub command dial seemed like its gears were worn down when turning the dial.

Thank you for all the information. It's greatly appreciated. :)

crycocyon

What focusing issues did you have on the D7000? Which focus mode were you using? I have a D7000 and never had a problem with the sub-command dial, but maybe it wasn't one with the particular problem.

I think you have to think about lenses first. Getting an FX camera means, as Marcel mentioned, a bigger investment in lenses. I had been struggling with what to replace my D7000 with, a D7100 or D600, and since I like the FX lenses the choice was a little easier for me (plus I have a D800 so going all FX makes sense).

Here's a good discussion of the two cameras that covers a lot more material than I ever could:

Nikon D7100 vs D600: how do you choose? | N-Photo

If I could say it in a nutshell, the D7100 has more advanced features than the D600, but the D600 has the larger sensor which gives you all the benefits of a larger sensor with MP count being equal, like better light sensitivity, lower noise, etc..

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
What focusing issues did you have on the D7000? Which focus mode were you using? I have a D7000 and never had a problem with the sub-command dial, but maybe it wasn't one with the particular problem.

I think you have to think about lenses first. Getting an FX camera means, as Marcel mentioned, a bigger investment in lenses. I had been struggling with what to replace my D7000 with, a D7100 or D600, and since I like the FX lenses the choice was a little easier for me (plus I have a D800 so going all FX makes sense).

Here's a good discussion of the two cameras that covers a lot more material than I ever could:

Nikon D7100 vs D600: how do you choose? | N-Photo

If I could say it in a nutshell, the D7100 has more advanced features than the D600, but the D600 has the larger sensor which gives you all the benefits of a larger sensor with MP count being equal, like better light sensitivity, lower noise, etc..

Valuable link you've given me, and I enjoyed the read! Thanks! :)

As for the focusing issue, I prefer AF-S with a single point focus whenever possible. I read where there is a way to fine tune the D7000's focusing for every lens, but since the sub command dial posed such a problem, I didn't want to keep the camera. So far on the D600, it hasn't been a problem.

I'm pretty much covered for full frame lenses for my uses although at some point I'd like to get a wide angle zoom. Right now my widest lens is a Nikon 20mm f/2.8.

Now here's a question for anyone regarding the D600's sensor--I'm not a camera techie so please forgive me if my question comes across as intellectually lacking :rolleyes:--somewhere (I think on this forum) I read that when the D600 is used in its DX crop mode, the sensor is reduced to @10mp. So when comparing the D600 in DX mode to the D7100, I assume the D7100 will yield better photos? Yes? Even if this is so, I still want the benefit of a full frame camera. It's taking some getting used to the full frame perspective after being away from 35mm photography, but I am really enjoying it!

James Blonde

I'm in a similar position as you were Hark, although I'm perhaps heavier on the DX lenses (well, by 1 - 10-20mm Sigma). I also aim to keep my D90 but convert to IR, so conversion cost is also a factor (around £250). I have been considering D7100 vs D600 (and maybe even D800, but suspect costs and upgrading would just make it too expensive), and whilst I understand the technical differences between the 2, I'm struggling to find any decent comparison shots between say a D800 / D600 and D7?00 - the ones I have found appear to be between D300 and D700.

Anyone had any more recent thoughts on this?

I'm also potentially looking to replace my 18-105VR and 70-300VR with a single lens, which I'm considering the Nikkor 18-300 DX, or 24-300 (which would also help if I were to go full frame). I'll probably ask more about these lenses elsewhere, but it is a consideration in my choice of body.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I have been considering D7100 vs D600 (and maybe even D800, but suspect costs and upgrading would just make it too expensive), and whilst I understand the technical differences between the 2, I'm struggling to find any decent comparison shots between say a D800 / D600 and D7?00 - the ones I have found appear to be between D300 and D700.

Anyone had any more recent thoughts on this?

James, I don't have any images for comparison, but I've tried following up on my last post which asked about the pixel size when an FX camera is used in DX crop mode. I found the following info which came from this link (under the Advantages of FX or DX heading):

Other than the initial file size and the cropped telescopic view, the only difference and concern might be about the pixel density - the final cropped dimensions should still have sufficient pixels left. Starting from the D700 12 megapixels, cropping to DX leaves 5 megapixels. The D600 leaves 10 megapixels, and the D800 leaves 15 megapixels (only about 40% remaining).

Not sure whether this info will impact your decision or not, but since my own questions have been answered, I hope someone will be able to steer you to the info you need! So does anyone have comparison shots between a D800 / D600 and D7?00 for James? :)

perhaps a different slant on it ..

all the D3100 to 5200 have the same basic controls ..ok of you dont shoot fast.
The D7000/7100/600 have the U1 U2 so you can pre select fast for different situations ...add P and A and you have 4 different instantly selectable settings.
The D800 is back to slow slow slow with menu selection of saved settings.