What Prime/Portrait Lens Do You Think I Need For LowKey Portrait Session?

Corey @ Faymus Media

Hey guys, I am doing 2 lowkey strobist shoots outdoors this week. I got my pocketwizards, flash, umbrellas, 24-70mm, 50mm 1.4g, and a few other things. I am stuck on what lens I want for a good prime. Here is what I am looking between, if I am missing a good lens, definitely suggest it. I am renting so I can see if I like them first.

1.85mm 1.4G
2.105mm 2.0 DC
3.85mm Zeiss 1.4

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
105mm 2.0 DC if you like to use flash often. If you enjoy working available light then the 85 1.4 G.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is the DC sharper? also is there a faster way to get shutter speed? With my speedlights, and pocketwizard III I am stuck at 1/250. Is there a faster way?

I think the DC is sharper, but I don't have it and I'm only relying on pics that I've seen. You might be stuck at 1/250s with the pocketwizards, so if you want to have a wider aperture, you can use either a polarizer or a neutral density filter...

Corey @ Faymus Media

I think the DC is sharper, but I don't have it and I'm only relying on pics that I've seen. You might be stuck at 1/250s with the pocketwizards, so if you want to have a wider aperture, you can use either a polarizer or a neutral density filter...

Oh ok. Thanks. I am trying to find a faster way lol

crycocyon

85 1.4g would be the sharpest at least from what reviews I've read. It is an outstanding lens and it is next on my list for lens purchases (for portrait work).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
thats just a quote LOL I am Corey. haha sorry. Thanks for the advice, how good is the zeiss 100mm?

A good friend of mine described it as a mini-Nikon 200mm f2. It is better than the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 optically and has a shorter focusing distance since it is a macro lens.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
sweet. I am thinking hard on which one I want to grab for the shoots. decisions decisions. lol

Knowing that you also do videos, I would think that the 85 1.4 would be of more use to you for video. Besides, how much difference in sharpness would there be between the great lens vs the best one?

Corey @ Faymus Media

After shooting just over half of my projects for the weekend I have come to realized that the 24-70mm is just awesome.

I took 4 pictures with the 14-24mm for group shot and wide shot of the church, I used the 85mm for a few shots of the baby and a few at the gym shoot.

90% of my shots were on the 24-70mm. Badass lens. I always loved primes because with canon the 24-70 isn't that good and most zooms are horrible.

This lens changed my mind!