A Little Nikon Mirrorless NAS?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I was socializing the idea of a new body to my wife after the D7100 was announced. I was also toying with the idea of an Olympus OM-D. So last night my beloved asks what my intentions were since we are going to Spain and Portugal in a month. After ruling out the D7100, I told her I was thinking about the OM-D. She asked why because she loves the images from my D300. Headslap! Not a good idea to take a new camera on a trip without having much time to become familiar with it.

So to make a long story longer, I've decided to bring the D300 and the V1 with us. Since adding Fotodiox grip, I really love the ergonomics of the V1. I love to shoot wide and at night which have been difficult (but not impossible) with the kit 10-30 and 30-110. Nikon announced 2 lenses which will "solve" this issue for me. So NAS struck again and I ordered the 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm (18-35mm equivalent) and 1 Nikkor 18.5/1.8 (50mm equivalent). I'm thinking I will leave the 10-30 at home.

Can't wait to see how they work out!

crashton

Let us know how it works out. I used to shoot a D300, but sold it in a moment of dementia. For me it was too heavy, but man I do miss that camera. I now shoot with a D7000 & V1. If I was taking that trip It would be the V1 & the lenses you've mentioned. Have a great trip!

Patrick M

The OM-D looks like a great camera, but my wife too refers the shots from my D5100
... And she's glued to her Coolpix LoL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Let us know how it works out. I used to shoot a D300, but sold it in a moment of dementia. For me it was too heavy, but man I do miss that camera. I now shoot with a D7000 & V1. If I was taking that trip It would be the V1 & the lenses you've mentioned. Have a great trip!

I truly understand that dementia comment because the D300 is just about perfect for a DX body. Have you considered adding the Fotodiox grip to your V1? OMG it is the best $40 I've spent in a long time.

Which lens(es) do you use with your V1?

crashton

I have added one of Richard Franiec's grips to my V1. Very happy with the secure hand hold it provides. My V1 lenses are the 10 f2.8, the 10-30, 30-110 & an FT1. Mostly I use the 10 F2.8. Makes for a pretty compact camera. [h=3][/h]

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I received the 1 Nikkor 18.5mm and 6.7-13mm lens. I haven't had very much time to use them, but initial impressions are great. I will write a separate review for each. These two lens in addition to the 1 Nikkor 30-110mm make an unbelievable kit. Both of these lens have a shiny back finish as opposed to the V1, 10-30 and 30-110mm flat black finish. Below is an image to show the relative size of the lens to each other.

Lens_Test_07.jpg

crycocyon

I'd love to see a photo of those three lenses next to a Nikon AF-S lens for size comparison. I'm also curious to see how they perform against a D300. Comparison photos please! :D

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd love to see a photo of those three lenses next to a Nikon AF-S lens for size comparison.

Here you go!

Left to right: Nikkor 17-55/2.8 (shade on table), 1 Nikkor 6.7-13, Nikkor 50/1.4 AF-D, 1 Nikkor 18.5, 1 Nikkor 30-110, Nikkor 70-300G

Lens_Test_09.jpg