help with 80-200 models

ewick

does anyone know a good site where it explains the difference between the 80-200 macro and the AF-S D IF ED ? I am looking to get this tele for portraits/sports/anda few trips to the wild animal park. and what does IF ED mean? any help would be highly appreciated. still learning so be patient with me. thanks.

Mike150

Hey Ewick. Probably the first thing you should do is go to Nikon's Lens Glossery. It describes the most common of them. In your example the AF-S is for Autofocus (silent wave motor). The D type relays distance info to certain types of sensors. The IF indicates Internal focus within the lens and the ED is Extra Low dispersion glass.

Glossary of Nikkor lens terms

ewick

Thanks a lot Mike but whats the difference between a macro 80-200 and a non-macro? I thought macro was only for the 1:1 ratio, or am I wrong?

Mike150

A true macro lens does give you a 1:1 ratio, although they may lose a bit of it over different distances. You mention an 80-200 lens. If you are talking about a zoom lens then it probably is not a true macro.
Adorama has a pretty fair description you can read. Macro Lens Quick Guide: 26 Top Lenses from Adorama Learning Center

I'm sure there are many others and probably youtube videos available to look at. All you have to do is a google search.