Resolution warning on Costco online

USDB95C

I have had a Nikon D90 for two years and have just now begun to have problems with photo resolution. When I try to enlarge my pictures larger than a 4x6 through Costco online I get
a resolution warning. I have researched on line and made sure my camer is set in the shooting menu at image quality "jpeg fine" image size "large" and High ISO NR at normal setting. Here's the thing I took a few pictures indoors and do not get the resolution warning however all of my outdoore pictures get the warning. So, doing that I know it is not the program I use which is picasa compressing my files since it is happening with outdoor and not indoor photos. I am desperate for help,any suggestions?
Pamela in Catheys Valley

Mike150

Re: Resolution warning

Hey Pamela
I've never used Costco (closest one to me is over 100 miles) I did look at their website and found this page http://www.costcophotocenter.com/help/helpcontent/Photo_Resolution.htm.

I'm thinking if you re-sized the photo in Picassa, then you compressed it below the minimum number of pixels needed for a picture size. Look at the different photos (one that works and one that doesn't) overall resolution. That web page gives minimum number of pixels for the photo size. For example and 8x10 photo should have a minimum of 1150 pixels on the long side and 920 on the short side. That's about 120 pixels per inch..

If you are transfering the image direct from the camers to a memory stick to take to costco you should have no problems ...you need a better edit programme Photoshop in older versions...CS2 is available free on the web at present.
If you are sending the images on line these systems do compress the image (too much) so if you have already compressed if after editing then you could have mush at the printers...

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Costco near me has a 8mb limit. If you exceed it, you can't upload. Most likely, you are hitting the same wall. I have to dummy down 40mb files for them so I stopped using them unless I use one of my cheaper cameras. Their printing isn't bad for what you pay. 4x6 are a bargain. Especially when they have a half price sale!