D600 Macro Lens(es)

slugger

Hi everyone, new here. I'm going to be doing a shoot of treefrogs soon and I need a macro lens to do so. It will be indoors and the lighting may not be that amazing. I'd like some closeups and I don't know what lens(es) to buy! Looking for a 1:1 and maybe one of those tubes? Can someone also explain what those tube magnifiers are? Thanks!

PapaST

I just delved into that world. I have a Nikon 105 2.8G Macro and I do like it. But I really wanted to try to get shots of fly's compound eyes and everything. I could never really achieve that with the 105. But it DID give me good working distance.

I'm now trying a 24mm 2.8D reversed and kenko tubes... those give you incredible close ups but lack working distance and you need lots of light (at least with the tubes). Someone posted a macro video here of a well known photographer and in some of the shots he is about a cm away and I'm scratching my head thinking how he gets so close.

I think my gallery might have a couple of insects with the 105 but I haven't posted anything with reverse lens. I can get some really good closeups with reverse lens and reversing with tubes is extreme close. But there's a ton of technique involved to get proper DoF and lighting. I might have to build something to diffuse my speedlight to give proper lighting. It's going to take a lot of practice I can tell. Using a tripod (although not possible for some shots) would be optimal because reverse lens with tubes needs so much light and you lose so much DoF that you need an appropriate aperture.

If you have a D lens I'd try an adapter ring with a 50mm or 24mm and see what kind of shots you can get. The 105 is a fine lens but I'm not so sure how "close" you can get. But hey... what do I know. ;)

Mike150

Hey slugger. I've never used extension tubes but basically all they do is move the lens farther away from the sensor. This will have an overall effect on the "infinite" focus ability but will also allow you to get closer in to your subject. Go to google and search for extension tubes, or How do Extension tubes work. That should get you a lot of reading.

Personally, I use the 105mm F2.8 from Nikon. Great for flower shooting.

nzswift

First advice would be you won't need the latest AF lens as you'll be focussing manually anyway. I'd go for an AIS Micro 105/2.8 or if you want to get more distance to light the image the AIS Micro 200/4 IF. Lifesize (1:1) you'll need a PN-11 (from memory) for the 105 or a TC-200 for the 200. If you want to do flies compound eyes and you are working indoors in a controlled situation I'd try to find a PB-6 bellows set.

slugger

@nzswift would a 2.8 produce a favorable depth of field when photography small things like tree frogs? would it be a disadvantage on low light?

nzswift

The 2.8 stops down to f32 so DOF will be OK. You'd never shoot macros at 2.8, thats to give you a nice bright viewfinder image. Trouble is your lens and camera will be quite close to the subject which may make flash placement difficult.