Camera of the Future?

Eye-level

Banned
Nikon needs to get it over with already...

Put a DX sensor or better yet a FX sensor in a body like that...F mount...

It is not going to hurt SLR sales in fact it might enhance them.

Rick M

28mm fixed lens is interesting. If it's small, it may be a hit. I posted in another spot that perhaps it might be like a retro rangefinder.

Eye-level

Banned
With a fixed lens it is going to have to be cheap to sell the units. Perhaps this is the test bed for the interchangeable lens unit. The Nikon 1 cameras are the best selling compacts in Japan...tiny sensor though.

Note where they rated the MP at?

Rick M

That combo in a small coat pocket size rangefinder with a pancake lens could sell. Awesome IQ in a small package! I'd like something like this to compliment my DSLR, those mini sensors have turned me off to all P&S's

Eye-level

Banned
Not necessarily small just compact maybe...metal body...great sensor...F mount...it would be the perfect backup unit to a DSLR or vice versa...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

If Nikon used the focusing system from the Nikon 1, that would be incredible!

28mm fixed lens is interesting. If it's small, it may be a hit. I posted in another spot that perhaps it might be like a retro rangefinder.

Fuji has made a big splash with their "X" cameras. Maybe Nikon is looking at that market? They have a long history / relationship with Fuji.

With a fixed lens it is going to have to be cheap to sell the units. Perhaps this is the test bed for the interchangeable lens unit.

I'm not so sure it has to be cheap. The Fuji X100 certainly isn't.

IMHO I think Nikon is seeing the momentum of the m4/3'rds systems, especially now that third parties are making lenses and "pro" bodies are selling for around US$1000. I like my V1 - despite its limitations. Put a 12-20 Megapixel DX sensor in a mirrorless body with controls similar to my SLR and I'd be first in line to buy one.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm curious Eduard if they did put a DX sensor in a mirrorless body like you say what would be the fate of your D300? :)

That is a fair - and tough - question. If a DX mirrorless gave me the same capabilities as my D300, it would probably replace it. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 keeps catching my eye.

Eye-level

Banned
I've been intensely looking at the X Pro 1, the OM-D, and the Nex cameras. They are all pretty impressive to me and I have been seriously thinking about getting the Fuji and an adapter for my F mount lenses and running with it. I think I am going to hold off another year and see what Nikon does.

On another note I saw a J1 for sale on my local Craigslist the other day for $250...it was tempting. So was the D300S with 15K actuations for $350!

fotojack

My photographer buddy, who shoots with a D800 on his octo copter, is talking about going to the Sony mirrorless camera next year. And I'm talking him into selling me his D300.....or working for it. :) He'll be giving the D800 to his wife.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My photographer buddy, who shoots with a D800 on his octo copter, is talking about going to the Sony mirrorless camera next year. And I'm talking him into selling me his D300.....or working for it. :) He'll be giving the D800 to his wife.

Dammit Jack. . . I thought we had a deal that you were going to buy my D300 when the D400 was released! :grief: