Thought on 300mm F4 AF-D?

HeyTaiLe

I just ordered one on ebay. I've been hearing about slow focus so anyone who has this lens has something to say about it? Please share sample photos if you can too. I appreciate it!

pedroj

Hi...Welcome...I have the 300mm F4 AF IF ED....The birds and surfing image were taken using the D300 and this lens in my gallery...

pedroj's Images - Nikonites Gallery @ News

saltwater_24_sep_021.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
This is the lens with the open rear area and the little glass filter that fits in a slot towards the back, right? If this is the same lens then the only thing I'll warn you about is keeping that open area in the back extremely clean and dust free because it will fill your mirror box with dust and junk if you don't. Other than that, it's a nice, albeit, big and heavy lens that looks like it would easily absorb a direct hit with an IED.
Also, make certain this lens comes with that little filter insert or be sure to buy one before you use it. Otherwise it's the same as running around with an open camera with no lens.

rawhead

Stick a 1.4 teleconverter on the back. That's what I'm going to do with mine...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Dave_W

The Dude
Ah, it is the lens I'm thinking about. I owned this lens for a month or two and flipped it. It's a rock solid lens, no doubt but that open area in the tale section and the propensity of that little lens filter for breaking and/or getting lost really detracts from the overall niceness of the lens. But I guess back in the day this lens was manufactured dust on a sensor was a non-issue.

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice website, pedroj. Very well done, sir. My only suggestion is to add a favicon. It looks a little barren without one

pedroj

I'm sorry if I gave the impression it was my website...I'm afraid I'm not that clever...

I've had this lens for about 10 years...Paid $750 Aus for it then so I considered it a steal...I know it will hunt a bit in low light but it's pretty easy to manual focus...