D800 newb question

Schwartznet

Got an Nikon d800 for my birthday and never used anything but a d90. May be a dumb question but every picture I take is in the middle with a black outter edge cutting out most the image making the result a circle image in the middle with black on the outsides. Is there a way to change this?

BackdoorArts

I'm guessing you are using a DX lens and the camera is in FX mode. The DX lens will only cover a portion of the FX sensor, so the black you're seeing is where the lens isn't projecting onto the sensor. You can put your D800 in DX mode to work with the lens, but it will only produce 16MP images from the middle portion of the sensor. Not a "problem", but you're definitely not taking advantage of the full potential of the camera.

Check page 80 of the manual to see how to select the right mode for your DX lens. Depending on the lens, the camera can be set to automatically change modes provided the lens has the ability to tell the camera it's DX (most/all Nikon DX lenses do this).

Nice birthday present, btw. Maybe you can get a 24-85mm for Easter? :)

Mike150

Thank you very very much. So basically I need to get an fx lens to get the full resolution out of my camera?

WOW!!! Nice Birthday present. I got three pairs of socks for my birthday, along with a cake that had ONE candle (Fire Dept. mentioned something about the number being a fire hazard).

For the most part, your statement is correct. I don't have a D800 so I don't have immediate access to the manual. From past discussions regarding FX/DX, I recall mention of a setting to make for using DX lenses. By all means, pursue getting a FX lens, but that alone shouldn't stop you from taking pictures using the DX lens.

BackdoorArts

You don't need one to use it, but yes, you need and want an FX lens to get the most out of that amazing camera. Save your pennies and buy quality, because it will reveal any flaws to be found in lesser lenses. Doesn't mean they have to be EXPENSIVE - just quality.

A good start is the 24-85mm kit lens, as I mentioned. There's a 18-35mm coming out soon as well if you're more into wide angles/landscapes. The 70-300mm seems pretty popular as well.

Geoffc

Jakes suggestions are all good and will provide a fair solution.If you're just buying one FX lens for now the 24-120F4 is a good all rounder. Mine spends more time on the camera than anything else.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm guessing you are using a DX lens and the camera is in FX mode. The DX lens will only cover a portion of the FX sensor, so the black you're seeing is where the lens isn't projecting onto the sensor. You can put your D800 in DX mode to work with the lens, but it will only produce 16MP images from the middle portion of the sensor. Not a "problem", but you're definitely not taking advantage of the full potential of the camera.

Check page 80 of the manual to see how to select the right mode for your DX lens. Depending on the lens, the camera can be set to automatically change modes provided the lens has the ability to tell the camera it's DX (most/all Nikon DX lenses do this).

Nice birthday present, btw. Maybe you can get a 24-85mm for Easter? :)

To add on what Jake have already mentioned, once your camera auto detects DX lens, the black outer portion of the frame will not show. You basically shoot on DX mode.

Get a 50mm f1.8 lens to get you started if funds are limited. Enjoy your camera and congrats.