The new phonebook's here!! The new phonebook's here!!

BackdoorArts

Things are going to start happening to me now!!

:cool:

As cruelty was visited on Navin R. Johnson, my new D800 arrived on the last possible UPS truck yesterday, after I had completed the errand I needed to run to a little town along the Delaware (I had to shoot with my D600 instead). It's been unboxed, checked over (wrapping seemed loose, so I fired off one photo just to check actuation count ... it was 1), menu settings reviewed and preferences set, and played with without going through the manual (I've figured out where they hid most of it). Alas, today is a particularly unusual Friday in that I am booked solid with conference calls, none of which I can ignore. And it's supposed to be a fairly delightful March 1 weather-wise.

A cruel joke, indeed. So, just to share in my misery, you may be forced to view images of things in my office today. You've been warned LOL

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Nice! Take lots of pics of your phone? haha

That reminds me, I learned how to tear a phone book in half because I had a lot of them laying around. It's not as hard as it seems. :)

BackdoorArts

That's because they're 1/10th the size now. Or you're tearing along the binding. ;)

The view out of my office isn't bad - I just hope something shows up. LOL

I worked for the University of Alabama for 10 years many many years ago. The building I worked in was on the main road from all the sorority houses and also the largest girls dorm. They all had to walk past our building to get to the main part of the campus. During the times when they would have to go to class we would go stand on a second story balcony and watch them go by. This was very nice especially in the spring and fall since this was in the decade of the 70s. Remember what girls were wearing in the 70s?

Just something for you to think about while you are all coupe up in your office talking on the phone.

BackdoorArts

Realized I had a pile of images to go through, and with rather crappy weather out here I stuck with the Mac and just stared at the D800, still with only 3 actuations. It's the first camera I've had where I want to keep the new car smell. LOL

My plan is to shoot a lot tomorrow, but the honey-do list may keep me from sharing my excitement until Sunday.

BTW, this is a substantial camera. Now I know why folks are saying that they need a grip on others. Having started on the D7000 I never understood, but I suspect a grip for the D600 will be in my future. And probably one for this.

BackdoorArts

Disappointment #1: It was a clear morning and the moon looked very nice framed by some nearby branches, so I went out to shoot only to realize my handy Ml-L3 wireless remote, that works so splendidly on my D7000 & D600, is of no use with the D800. I'm sure there are valid reasons beyond the desire to get me to spend more money on a RFN-4s (perhaps the sensors compromised seals in the body), but you can color me a little bummed.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Disappointment #1: It was a clear morning and the moon looked very nice framed by some nearby branches, so I went out to shoot only to realize my handy Ml-L3 wireless remote, that works so splendidly on my D7000 & D600, is of no use with the D800. I'm sure there are valid reasons beyond the desire to get me to spend more money on a RFN-4s (perhaps the sensors compromised seals in the body), but you can color me a little bummed.

That RFN-4s works much better than my generic Phottix plato remote. Less bulk too.

Anyway, congrats on your D800. Gotta keep the wife happy in order to get her blessings with your new toy acquisitions. ;)

BackdoorArts

That RFN-4s works much better than my generic Phottix plato remote. Less bulk too.

Anyway, congrats on your D800. Gotta keep the wife happy in order to get her blessings with your new toy acquisitions. ;)

4 old guitars that were gathering dust found there way out of the house and into the bank account, which more than covered the D800 (and is the only way I could even come close to justifying the purchase of another body now). I'm sure the tile she's picking out for the entryway with the rest of the funds will make her more than happy.