Landscape Weekly Photo Contest Idea, What Do You Think?

Would You Be Interested In a Weekly Prize Photo Challenge?

• Total voters

Corey @ Faymus Media

Hey guys. I was speaking with Dave for an idea. I have a thread on here with some of my landscape work that got some great responses from the nikonites community. I have been doing photography for a long time and love it. I also love the site, so here is my idea.

I would like to have Dave make me a set space in the photo competitions area for a weekly photo competition. I have some free time and love photography so much that I would like to host a weekly competition.

Basically every monday I would post a youtube or vimeo video describing what this weeks challenge would be, and then there would be all week to submit. Submissions would be due by saturday and I would judge them and the winner every week would get a featured blog on my website, and facebook page. I get about 15,000 hits a month.

Eventually if it gets to be big and everyone loves it, I would start giving away prizes and T-Shirts. It would also help the community of nikonites as I would use my vimeo and youtube accounts to push traffic to the site as well.

I am also looking at getting a couple of photo walks going on once this gets started.

For judging the winner I would also be doing a judging video so you could hear my thoughts, and critique. If all goes well I will get a live feed going where we can all chat and watch live during this process. This would be after a few weeks of competition.

So if you are down, I would love to do this for the site and nikonites.

Vote on the polls! Thanks guys!

RockyNH_RIP

I like the idea... My only issue is being weekly, and I work 5 days a week, I have limited time to go out and seek/shoot scenery... That is my personal problem and I may not be able to participate every week.. a 2 week contest woulod work better for me.. BUT, I vote yes.. :)

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

I'm all for it. Like Pat, I work for a living (most of us do) so getting out and taking photos is a passion that must be paid for, and while I'd love to make it #1 I can't always do that. But I love the idea of a challenge that might push me into areas I haven't explored, and I'd gladly participate every chance I get. My only caution would be that I suspect that you'll have weeks with a plethora of photos to choose from and others where there are slim pickings, if only because of people's schedules and their willingness/ability to cover the specifics of the assignment (I'm sure that's part of what made the weekly contests here die out - same limited participation week over week, coupled with coming up with fresh ideas).

I say go for it!! Given your blog and FB page would you be limiting participation to people here (ie. people would need to submit entries on this forum - a great way to drive up traffic) or would this be just one of the places? If it's limited to here then I'm thinking the mod's will want to weigh in. Otherwise, post 'em up in the non-Nikonite Contest forum and lets have at it!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think it's a great idea. Could this be done on Nikonites? I'm not sure about taking this onto another website…Could it be on both, or would you have links to Nikonites on your blogs and website where the competition would be.

And I personally question the "competition" title. We've discussed this at length and had decided to call it "Assignment" to make it non competitive. I think we are all here to learn and not compete, but this is only my opinion as maybe some love the competition aspect.

You should propose your idea to John Jdeg in a private message and see what his opinion is since he's the list owner.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Basically if alot of people are down for this, I will post a link every 2 weeks to make it easier for everyone. This link would be to my website blog with a video on instructions. I would post the thread for this on nikonites, every 2 weeks in the the competition forum threads. So when i post the thread click the link to go to my blog and watch the video, then you can join my group on flickr, just add your 1 photo to the group.

Corey @ Faymus Media

That will work. My company and nikonites can be a team to bring more photographers together. What do you want the first prize to be for mondays competition? I just sent you a PM