SB 700 Filter Color

Megharupa

Hello,
Just bought a SB 700 to use with a D600 & 50 MM 1.4 lens.
I did notice in the Menu options of the SB 700 there are different color filters Red, Blue ,yellow ,amber.other

What is the color setting for white I would think other??

Sorry for the silly question

Regards

Last edited:

Megharupa

Thank you,
So the filter selections are for the lighting of my subject.

Not the color filters I place upon the flash unit correct?

fotojack

Thank you,
So the filter selections are for the lighting of my subject. <-------- Correct.

Not the color filters I place upon the flash unit correct? <----------Don't quite make sense of this sentence. Could you clarify, please?

The coloured filters snap onto the front of the flash. They are used for artistic effect. The white one is used for diffusion, for a softer light all over the subject.

Megharupa

Thank you for your reply,

It's me in the way I am asking this question.

Question:

I the Menu of the SB 700 there is something called Filters. The options are Red, Blue,Yellow,Amber, Other.

What is this used for???

Cowboybillybob1

Thank you for your reply,

It's me in the way I am asking this question.

Question:

I the Menu of the SB 700 there is something called Filters. The options are Red, Blue,Yellow,Amber, Other.

What is this used for???

Nikon sells color filter gels and a seperate holder. This set is called SJ-4. If you are using one of these colored gels than you should tell the SB-700 you are doing so.
Here is a link:
Nikon SJ-4 Color Filter Set for SB-700 Flash 4967 B&H Photo

Here is the SZ-3 holder.
Nikon SZ-3 Color Filter Holder for SB-700 Flash 4974 B&H Photo

The reviews of the gels state that the holder comes with it and that the text is wrong.

I am not sure if there are other colours than these.

Last edited:

87mstng

? I just got a SB-700 and was wondering what this setting should be at if I'm NOT using a filter.
Does it matter?

Default is "red". Just leave it there?

WayneF

? I just got a SB-700 and was wondering what this setting should be at if I'm NOT using a filter.
Does it matter?

I cannot believe this menu matters at all when no filter is used, and no filter type is displayed on the LCD - or if camera is set to something other than Auto WB.

In the same way for example, the camera has a menu for the internal flash settings. It could not matter less what that menu says if the internal flash door is shut (and no SB-400 model flash is present - it uses same menu).