Needing some advice

FreshPhotoJosh

Hey, I'm josh
I'm a 15 year old art student from the UK, looking to buy my first dslr for art projects, getting into photography and a bit of skateboard filming. I would just like to know whether the Nikon D3100 would be a suitable entry level camera? i have a tight budget and don't want to spend more than £400, so any advice and suggestions would be great?
Thanks
Josh

nickt

The d3100 is a nice camera. Its small, lightweight and capable. I don't know how your currency converts, but a d5100 is a good deal right now. Priced around the same as a d3200. If the d5100 is in your budget, I would look at that over the d3100 or d3200. It will give you more growing room. But the d3100 is decent, just near its end of life.

§am

£400 will get you a D3100 with 18-55mm lens and leave you £101 to spend on other stuff (mem card, bag etc).

The D3100 is certainly a capable entry level camera, but depending how much you learn or want to learn you may outgrow it within a year or two...

fotojack

I have to agree with the rest of the boys on this one. Spend your money wisely once, or foolishly twice. Up to you, but I'd go for the D5200 also for your needs. Hunt around for a good deal, be patient, the deals are out there to be had. You have but to find them. :) Let us know how you make out....and let us know! :) Good luck!

§am

For the money you are going to want the D5200. It is leaps and bounds beyond the D5100 or D3200.

Not sure its leaps and bounds better than the D5100, but certainly an improvement :)

However, for the bang per buck price, at current prices, the D5100 is the cheapest of the three, so I would say go for it - it's certainly a lot more camera than the D3200 and from your 'needs' will be more than sufficient ;)

CakvalaSC

I also would jump on the D5100 or D5200, if you saved up that much money I would just go with that camera with a lens. You will be much happier.

FreshPhotoJosh

Thanks a lot guys, really helpful, and i will sure be dong a bit of scouting around, and will come back with anymore questions and queries.
Cheers
Josh

RiDdLe

A nice body is something good, but always remember "invest in lens". I've been using the D3100 with a 70-200 f2.8 and I had killer shots.

SkvLTD

Look for a used 18-70mm instead of getting the dinky 18-55mm in the kits. Cheaper, slightly better, and a much better focal range to let you really play around.

Also given you're only 15, don't be afraid to pick up some old lenses. Using them in full manual will teach you basics much, much better than lazing around auto everything.

WhiteLight

Both the D5100 & D5200 are amazing cameras, one should be chosen over the other based on your needs.
And as you noted that you want to do some video photography as well, the D5200 is a better bet.
Any entry level lens will serve you well.. Like the 18-55mm.. which is a very versatile lens covering decent shooting area & the picture quality is definitely impressive.

skene

if i can throw a little into the mix, if you are not opposed to going used maybe the d90 would also be in your budget and opens you up to an even broader range of lenses to use.