Yongnuo 560 ii issues with D700. NEED HELP!!

logan

Hey everyone, I am obviously new here and I need some help. I recently bought a Yongnuo 560 ii (NOT the EX) and I can't get it to fire when it is in the hot shoe of my D700. (It works fine when triggered by the on-camera flash: slave mode.) I tried researching if this is a common issue, or any issue at all, but every search returned a flood of "Nikon D700 hot shoe issues" and little more. I am not ruling out an issue with the hot shoe, but it seems the big issue with the hot shoe is random firing.

Admittedly, I am a novice when it comes to flash setup- I was primarily a natural light shooter- and that is why I am asking. When I purchased this flash it was clearly marked in its description "...for Nikon and Canon." I have used Nikon flashes with no issues before, so I am stumped...

I am adding pictures below of the current settings on the camera. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Info Breakdown:
-Nikon D700
-Yongnuo 560 ii (NOT EX)
-Flash not firing from hot shoe
photo.jpgphoto(1).jpg

logan

The modes are about the only thing that could affect this, right? The modes are: M (master), S1 (slave), S2 (slave for pre-flash), and Multi.
There really isn't much to look at, but here it is:

photo.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

The modes are about the only thing that could affect this, right? The modes are: M (master), S1 (slave), S2 (slave for pre-flash), and Multi.
There really isn't much to look at, but here it is:

View attachment 28742

The 1st thing is.. Modes.. M is for Manual, NOT master.. It is NOT a TTL flash, it is a manual only flash.

What Mode are you using???

On my 5100, it fires from the Hotshoe but in manual mode only and does NOT work with the camera in Auto... I have to manually set the camera, thats why I have a SB-700 for On camera and only use the 560 Off camera.

I think the 468 II is the one that will workj in auto and is about $35 to $40 more.

Pat in NH

logan

I stand corrected, the reason I called it "Master" was because I watched a video on Youtube that referred to the mode as such. When you say "What mode are you using," are you asking for the mode of the flash in the camera (I posted a picture in an above post with the current settings) or are you referring to my shooting mode (aperture priority, shutter priority, auto, manual)?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I stand corrected, the reason I called it "Master" was because I watched a video on Youtube that referred to the mode as such. When you say "What mode are you using," are you asking for the mode of the flash in the camera (I posted a picture in an above post with the current settings) or are you referring to my shooting mode (aperture priority, shutter priority, auto, manual)?

I think Pat meant the camera's shooting mode (S,A,P,M). Use manual and see if the flash fires.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
How many connector pins are under your Flash? Have you tried to just short them to see if the flash would fire?
Does the flash fire when you depress the test button?

logan

I am attaching a photo of the mount on the flash. I have not tried to short the flash, I am not even sure how to do that with a flash. It does fire when I push the "pilot" button, and it works OFF the camera when I use slave mode and fire it with my built-in camera flash. So, the flash does work just not when it is in the hot shoe. I mainly use flashes off camera, it is just annoying to me that it isn't working as it should be.

photo.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just try to touch the 2 protruding pins with a metal object (pin or knife) and see if it flashes. When you look at your camera's hot shoe, do the pins seem to be at the right place compared to the ones on the flash?

logan

Ok, I just tried that and it did fire. And, the pins are in the right positions (one is about an 1/8" from the front of the mount, the other about 1/2"). Maybe it is a hot shoe problem...

logan

No I don't. I have a few friends who have some, but they are about 50 miles away. So, next week when I am down there, and if I don't figure this out before, I am going to try both my flash on their camera and their's on mine.

RockyNH_RIP

What Mode is the Flash in??? When you mentyion Slave Mode for Off Camera, I assume you mean S1 (or S2)

What Mode when in the Hotshoe?? It needs to be in M when in the Hotshoe...

Pat in NH

LouCioccio

Logan,

Did you get a manual for the flash? I did a quick search you can download it. Just Google it. It also looks like it has a PC socket and 3 pin connector for 8_AA battery pack.
This just hit me drop the shutter speed below 1/250 and see if that works also before tightening see if there is wiggle do one way tighten see if it fires loosen but wiggle the other way. Just in case it does not line up. Just a shot on the dark. No pun intended.

Lou Cioccio

Last edited: