Clean HDMI

02vallancel

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use my computer as a recorder for clean HDMI out on the upcoming D7100? I'm a total beginner when it comes to video so this might be a silly question :p I just don't fancy paying £600+ for an external recorder.

Cheers,

Louis Vallance

AC016

Not sure what you mean. Your video would record on the SD card, then your would transfer it to your computer. From there, you can do what you want, ie: burn it to a dvd or just keep on your hard drive. Can you elaborate??

Scott Murray

I dont understand, why not say hey how are you then ask questions??? Yet alone on a camera that is not really out there yet??? Seems bizarre, maybe I am skeptical...

BackdoorArts

The D7100, like all Nikons, will create a quicktime MOV file, stored on your SD card and transferable to your computer for editing, sharing, whathaveyou.

Patrick M

You can also use an Eye-Fi card with the D7100 so you can review shots on the iPad. Never tried with video, but I don't see why it wouldn't transfer the file too.

You should be able to connect it to a TV or monitor. Fairly standard tech these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RRRoger

I have a $327 HyperDeck Shuttle II.
It is currently attached to the HDMI out port on my D7100
My CaMax H0560 Monito is cabled to that.

Neither the recordings nor the monitor is displaying what I consider clean.
All the camera info is included in both.

Do not know if it is a firmware issue or a setting I have not found yet.
But, it is a deal breaker for me and I may return the camera

I will be using my D800 untill this is fixed.
It has true HDMI out.

RRRoger

I finally found the trick.
Setup the D7100 or also the D600 to record Video to an external recorder with external monitor (can even be a TV) attached to that thru the HDMI ports.
Put the Camera switch in Video mode and push the Live View button.
wait for the image to come up on the external monitor and keep pushing the info button untill the external monitor displays edge to edge with no info.
At this point you do not have to push the camera record button unless you want the SD card to record a normal highly compressed back up file.
Push record on the external unit to record to the SSD disc.
You can set up the HyperDeck Shuttle II to record Uncompressed, ProRes, DNxHD 220, or DNxHD MXF.
I am using DNxHD 220 but had to go to the AVID site to download the free DNxHD codecs in order to view with QuickTime or process with PowerDirector 11.

HarryBell

Thank you for answering this problem. Nikon doesn't offer any assistance to owners who have this problem...HB

Thanks to this post by RRRoger I do not have a video problem recording clean HDMI to the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 from my Nikon D7100. The video quality is good and is easily adjusted in Premiere Pro CC. The skies have cleared...

Last edited:

Ron Carlson

Unless there was an update in the last firmware for video......there is no aperture control for video. As many accolades the D7100 has received for its quality photography capabilities, it is one of the poorest cameras for video shooting, as far as many of the reviews from the "Pros" are concerned. I never tried using video on mine so I can't provide a good opinion on the subject. This is just food for thought.