D7100 price drops £150 (28/2/13)

§am

Although the shop where you're looking at that price has not stock (surprise surprise), so no doubt we will see that price change again once it's actually released.

§am

Of course the comment is relevant(!!!)

Mathers (where the body is at the price you mention), does not allow you to pre-order that item as they have no stock.
For all intents and purposes as you can't pre-order it from them they could advertise the price at £1 if they so wished - the fact is, they will not obviously honour this price (£1) until they have stock, at which point they will set a price that is in line with other retailers.

It's just clever marketing really - put the price lower than everyone else is offering, which in turns plants a seed in interested people's minds, then at the time of release, either leave the same price or fall in line with other retailers, and a certain percentage of people that saw your original price will come back and purchase from you without shopping around.

They say they are taking deposits so there will be a contract with consideration to supply....not ordering at present as dont think I can get an 18-200 zoom that will give me a better picture on 24mp than 16 mp

stmv

I suspect that within a year, the 700 will be priced around 1000-1099 price, which seems to be the comfort zone of this camera.

The jury is still out on the quality of the photos. It is interesting,, Nikon does not seem to pre-release examples as much to photomags,, to get indepth reviews prior to the release to the public, so that people really have limited knowledge of what this camera can do. You know by know they have a decent stock, and could easily supply all the major reviewers with enough copies to provide in depth reviews of the images.

does this camera blow the socks off the current D7000 images???? or even outdo the current D600 in sharpness???

time will tell, but for now,, many will have to take a jump... hoping it is the next great camera.

There was more solid information on my D800 before I had preordered. Actual analysis by labs of the photos.

§am

They say they are taking deposits so there will be a contract with consideration to supply

It does indeed say that they are now taking deposits, but on their website as it stands currently, there is no way to provide that deposit, and hence you are NOT entering into any contract with them.
In addition it does not stipulate how much deposit is required (full or part payment), nor does it detail any contractual obligations as to what laying down a deposit entitles you to at the time of release of the product. Is there a clause which says, subject to change, E&OE, prices subject to availability, etc etc.

Not gonna get into an argument here - simple fact is, it's at a currently lower advertised price (then other retailers), and from the site it does not allow you to get into a contract with them to purchase it at that price on release!!!

</end discussion> :)