Wish me luck on the D600

Mfrankfort

Finally got my money back from the Gvt, haha. Going to Costco tomorrow to pick up the D600 Kit. Wish I would have gotten it back in Dec when it was 2400, but 2800 seems to be a good deal right now. Switching from Canon t1i, and super excited. Got lots of snow in the backyard, so we'll see how the pictures come out. And wish me luck with no dust!!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Enjoy the camera. It's one of Nikon's finest sensor. The dust, well, don't worry too much about it. You'll probably get some at some point anyway. If you learn how to clean it yourself, you won't mind it at all. It's just routine maintenance for me.

But the IQ you will love for sure.

Mfrankfort

Ya, I hope! I've been debating which camera to get for a while now, and I went from using full auto, to Manual on my camera now, and noticed drastic changes in quality. I'm excited for the FF and cleaning, haha.

Mfrankfort

I had 8 deer in my back yard earlier today licking snow off trees. I really hope they don't have plans tomorrow... 'cause they're going to be in some pictures. haha

Mfrankfort

What kit lens does the D600 come with?

It comes with the Camera Body, 24-85 VR Lens, 70-300 VR Lens, Wireless Adapter (WU-1B), A 32GB SD Card, a book, and a bag. I won't be using the book/bag, but It has from what I've read good starter lenses. I will also be getting the 50mm 1.8G Lens, as I've heard really good things about that too. Later down the road I'll probably get some better lenses, probably primes, but for now, those two lenses will do.

Mfrankfort

Hyogen -I was looking at your post a while ago about upgrading from the exact camera I have, and am pretty happy you liked the D600, haha. I saw some of the pictures you've been putting up, and they all look really nice. I'm excited. I have a cruise coming up in April, so hoping to get familiar with the 600 by then. Any suggestions help. :)

VectorZ

I upgraded from a D5100 to the D600. I also got the same kit at Costco during X-mas. Unfortunately the first one had dust issues so I took it back and they gave me a brand new kit. Alas, this one too has dust issues. Instead of taking it back again I ordered a sensor cleaner kit and cleaned it in about 5 minutes. Not ideal, but I love the camera so I'm okay with cleaning it once a month or so. I do frequently change lenses, so that could be part of the problem.

Mfrankfort

Ya. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm hoping I get a good one, but we shall see. I think I'm going to invest in a sensor cleaning kit, and pray I don't mess anything up, haha.

Mfrankfort

And with Nikon coming out and admitting there was a problem, I feel a lot more comfortable. And Costco's 90 day return policy is nice too.

BackdoorArts

That's not a bad little kit. The 24-85 is a real nice everyday lens. Have heard good things about the 70-300 but never used one. The dust is a drag, a real drag at times, but the camera is worth it. Not sure if anything ever got "fixed" , but I'm sending mine in for whatever work they're willing to perform on it to clean it up. I clean my own sensors, gladly. But if they're offering something up I'm taking advantage of it, if only because I've gone from clean sensor to "Holy crap, where did all that come from" in 300 shots in a single afternoon with no lens change. Not meant to scare you, just meant to let you know it's a camera worth having.

Mfrankfort

Just got home, and it's out of the box! Everything looked awesome, until I went to find the memory card. Hidden at the bottom on a little slab of cardboard that was glued into the corner. Going to take some getting used to, but excited to play around with it. So far so good, but I use back button focusing, and when I press the button, it pokes my nose. haha. It'll take some getting used to, but I am excited! I will try to get some pictures up soon. Got some deer in the back yard. haha.

Mfrankfort

I set it to back button focusing, but I look through my left eye, and my thumb pokes me in the nose a little bit. It's a little closer than the Canon, but so far, it's 10000000x better.

Hyogen

ohh.. I've never looked with my left eye before. I actually used to use center dot focusing and backfocus button exclusively on the T1i. I actually just use half-shutter now. I don't use that button anymore, and only have it set to AE-Lock. I may change it, but we'll see. All the focus points are so good... with the T1i, I used to miss focus because I would focus with center point and then recompose. Apparently, that's how it is on the 5D mark 2 as well... only reliable focus point is center dot.

For my 2 lenses, 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8 (AF...pre-D), the low low light autofocus seems slightly worse than the T1i, though.. A little annoying but fortunately there is the built-in AF assist light which I have turned off most of the time. Also I sometimes use my SB-900's AF infrared beam.

I love love the U1 and U2 memory banks :D I have one set to capturing fast moving objects and another for portraits...I'll probably change the portraits bank to another setting for slower moving objects.. You can see the AF for fast moving objects thread for the settings.

I recommend changing the white balance, because you'll probably notice your pics are coming out a little green as is.

Ohh, and don't forget there is a feature to switch between DX and FX modes. I have this set to my Fn button. It's super for getting smaller file sizes, tighter crop (zoom), with full advantage of full frame sensor :D

I have the other button set to "My Menu" which I customized also for my most frequently used settings.

Ohh...and the built in intervalometer/time-lapse stills modes are awesome...one of them automatically makes it into a movie file for you :D

I'm guessing you WILL have dust issues, but it's not that bad and it's worth it. The problem has definitely gone away or way less frequent after a few thousand shots. Nikon cleaned my sensor when I sent it in for repair (dropped from tripod onto carpet and small mirror behind the large mirror got detached.) I have dropped my T1i a few times onto concrete and it kept on shooting just fine...so be careful not to drop your D600..! I'm planning on possibly getting the Crumpler wrist strap (Noose). I have a blackrapid strap on the bottom.

Last edited: