Cropping on D800

Scott Murray

Today i was lacking reach for my bird pics even with an 80-400mm VR. Here is the un-cropped and cropped version of a photo.

Fogg Dam 27022013-28.jpg
Cropped...

Uncropped-1.jpg
Un-cropped...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Have you tried adjusting the image size to DX mode? It helps save space on your memory card. I love the first set. Nice and great clarity.

Pierro

Have tried using crop mode to shoot, then take another of the same subject in fx mode, ( static shots obviously ) and then cropping the fx shot in PP to match the dx shot, and see which is best IQ ?

Scott Murray

Have tried using crop mode to shoot, then take another of the same subject in fx mode, ( static shots obviously ) and then cropping the fx shot in PP to match the dx shot, and see which is best IQ ?
Honestly I haven't, I may try these days off. But am thinking that at full resolution I can crop to what ever size I wish, where as if I use crop mode then its set to that limit.

BackdoorArts

My understanding is that resolution, in terms of MP's, shouldn't change as you use the crop modes on the D800 (FX, 1.2, DX) if the resulting image is then cropped to an identical size and nothing else changes (i.e. focal length of the lens). For example, in the Cockatoo photo, the bird is within the confines of the DX box in the viewfinder, so the only thing that would change in each of the 3 shooting modes is the size of the initial RAW/JPEG file. Once cropped down and exported at the same dimensions (100% crop?), the resulting images should be identical in every way.

In other words, when shooting in DX mode you get the full resolution of the middle 43% of the D800 sensor. There are fewer MP's only because the area of exposure is smaller, but the resolution within that area is identical to what you would have gotten in FX mode and then cropped to 1.5x. The sensor doesn't adjust to the mode, the camera just adjusts which portion of the sensor is used. IQ should be identical.

stmv

Yes,, why limit where you want your effective DX crop to be,, I even turn off my DX mode totally, and have used a couple of my DX lens on the FX,, with circle, because as you zoom, even a dX lens will take up more of the area, getting more then a DX size frame. So, for example, I have put my sigma 10-20 and got almost the full frame when zoomed out to say 15 mm. The ability to zoom crop like this is one of the magic of the D800, and now after a year, I am really surprised that Nikon has

1. kept the lead

2. not upgraded a D4 camera to this sensor with an improved exceed processor / buffer for larger bursts..

3. People kept wishing that the 36 Meg sensor would have some fatal flaw, but it has not, its
sharp, great dynamic range, and great in low light.

My only guess, is that they can only build so many, and hence the restriction to the 800/800e.

which by the way, are always in stock, and down to 2800/2900 dollars!!

Almost tempted to sell my 700 body and pick up the 800e..

crycocyon

Yes you can see the effect of cropping in DX mode when using an FX lens as it shows in the viewfinder what area is being "cropped" from the 36MP sensor. It isn't using 36MP in that smaller area, just using less of the sensor. I kid around with my photo friends that with the D800 I don't need a telephoto lens as I could shoot with the 50mm and just crop away. :D

BackdoorArts

The thing about sawpping modes is that you can save write time (both to the card and eventually on import) and space on the card if you know you'll be cropping down to DX sizes or less.

I'm with you on leaving it in FX mode with DX wides, though. I love my Sigma 8-16mm and while it will box out up until just shy of 14mm, I do get about an extra degree or 2 of reach outside the DX box at 8mm. I could get even more reach if the lens hood was removeable.

Scott Murray

I guess the benefit of leaving it in FX and cropping via software is the flexibility of different crops, the way I see it its like the RAW vs JPG saga, you can crop in camera and loose all those extra pixels or you can shoot in FX and keep those extra pixels and crop accordingly. Maybe it wont be as much as the in camera DX crop. The only gain you get from DX in camera is the extra FPS and the smaller file size. File size is not an issue as I have 6 x 32gb SD cards and 2 x 1TB external HDD's plus the storage on my laptop (when I free it up).

stmv

mmm,, now it has me curious,, when I shoot high speed burst in raw,, I run out of steam in 14 shots,, let me go try in DX mode.. I am curious how many more shots I can get.

BackdoorArts

mmm,, now it has me curious,, when I shoot high speed burst in raw,, I run out of steam in 14 shots,, let me go try in DX mode.. I am curious how many more shots I can get.

DX images are 43% the size of FX. Dividing 14 by .43 I get 32.56, so let's say 32. How did I do?

BackdoorArts

Scott, I am with you with regard to choosing the flexibility of any crop you choose when space and fps are of no real concern. There are times, however, when swapping modes may buy you something. I can't think of many times where I would want to shoot of a constant burst for 8 seconds, or even just for more than 3 1/2. But if I ever do, like perhaps shooting a cheetah chasing a gazelle across the Serengeti, I know how to do it. :)

Scott Murray

Scott, I am with you with regard to choosing the flexibility of any crop you choose when space and fps are of no real concern. There are times, however, when swapping modes may buy you something. I can't think of many times where I would want to shoot of a constant burst for 8 seconds, or even just for more than 3 1/2. But if I ever do, like perhaps shooting a cheetah chasing a gazelle across the Serengeti, I know how to do it. :)
I was thinking the same thing and is an option if I have that issue ;) I have the extra battery grip and bigger battery so that also helps with FPS.