Learn D90

nikond90

Hello everyone im new just signed up today. 2011 christmas i purchased a d90 havent used it since only my wife uses it. she recently purchased a sony mirroless camera 5R. and nikon is sitting there i need a hobbbie so i decided to learn photography. the reason i never used d90 it looked very confusing and hard to learn but now i want to learn it and use it. i have 2 lenses for it 18-105 and 50mm 1.8G lens. on may we are going on roadtrip to vegas, La, Disneyland, Grand Canyon.i want to learn as much possible by then to try take better pics than her :) lol. so where should i start? i dont want to use auto. where can i learn? i have no knowledge of what shutter is or iso but i know what aperature is :) any help or direction would be much appreciared. Thanks

BackdoorArts

Welcome to the world of digital SLR photography. The D90 is a great little camera.

There's a lot of not knowing in your paragraph up there. The good news is that the internet is full of information that will close those gaps. You just need to take the time to pick through it. There are great tutorials to be found on YouTube and blogs aplenty. The trick is finding one that works for you. Some will tempt you with a little information and then ask you to buy more. Spend the time digging and save your money for lenses.

That said, a good guide to your camera is essential in the learning process, because there's lots it can do that you'll never figure out on your own. Darrell Young has a book called "Mastering the D90". I have his "Mastering the D7000" and it is a superb walk through the camera's functions - like having someone teaching you what the manual was supposed to but they just didn't use real words. It won't teach you photography, but it'll help with the camera end.

Mike150

Welcome Nikond90.
Have you tried asking your wife to show you the basics? If she's like my wife, she knows everything.
Actually, try going to Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor and check the Nikon D90 Digitutor video. It will get you familiar with what's on the camera. Then break out the manual. Nothing is "easy" at the start, but with a little practice, you will get better. Digital film is cheap... and you can also erase all traces of your mistakes.

grandpaw

I would like to suggest going to the link below and doing some reading and playing around with camera settings to see how they affect your pictures. Darrell Young writes an excellent book on how to operate the camera and I also recommend it but it does not teach you the basics of photography. The book is very good at helping you learn how to operate the model camera you have but goes on the assumption that you know the basics and are just wanting to learn the operation of the model camera you own.

Check out this link and I think you will find it very helpful.
cameraDemo

nikond90

I would like to suggest going to the link below and doing some reading and playing around with camera settings to see how they affect your pictures. Darrell Young writes an excellent book on how to operate the camera and I also recommend it but it does not teach you the basics of photography. The book is very good at helping you learn how to operate the model camera you have but goes on the assumption that you know the basics and are just wanting to learn the operation of the model camera you own.

Check out this link and I think you will find it very helpful.
cameraDemo

wow thanks. that helped alot.

PhotoEnth47

Some great advice for you in the previous posts. Why don't you visit your local library. They will have a good selection of books that can teach you the actual photography part, once you are somewhat familiar with your camera. Things like composition, depth of field, getting the most from your shutter, what is ISO and how to use it, etc. etc. Don't expect to learn it all in a flash. Read about the same things in different books, as different people will explain things a little differently. But when you have read something, then go out and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice ... get the idea?! There is no teacher like practice. Practice will cost you nothing, as there is no film to worry about. You will most likely learn the most from your mistakes. Above all, enjoy yourself. Don't allow it all to get to hard. Just take your time and learn at your own pace. There's no hurry.

Enjoy the journey. Photography is not a destination, but a way of life. You will never know it all. There is always more. So have fun!!!