Dinner Time

Oz1

A female Anhinga feeding one of her young. Captured at Wakodahatchee wetlands in Palm Beach, Fl.

Nikon D3
Nikon 500mm f4 vr
F4
1/3200
ISO 400
Manual Mode
Tripod mounted

Attachments

• Feb072010-Anhinga-feeding-young.jpg
    Feb072010-Anhinga-feeding-young.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 147

goz63

Oz,
Just curious as I am still relatively new to all this. You shot this at 1/3200 and had the ISO set at 400. You could have dropped the ISO to 200 and then dropped the shutter speed down a little. Was it necessary to have a shutter speed this fast?
The shot has nice bokeh and the image is crisp. Nice composition.

Oz1

Oz,
Just curious as I am still relatively new to all this. You shot this at 1/3200 and had the ISO set at 400. You could have dropped the ISO to 200 and then dropped the shutter speed down a little. Was it necessary to have a shutter speed this fast?
The shot has nice bokeh and the image is crisp. Nice composition.

I normally shoot ISO 400 and sometimes higher depending on the light. That day I was mostly shooting some great blue herons building a nest and they were flying in and out bringing nesting materials when I happened to spot the anhinga's nest and the feeding of the chicks. But I mostly stay at ISO 400 when using the d3 and the d700. Thank you for the comments.

goz63

Not to press the issue but is there a reason for the 400 ISO. I know the D3 has very little noise even at higher ISO's but what is your feeling for using 400. You had plenty of room on the shutter speed for a lower ISO. You said you "normally" shoot 400, I have not heard of people using that as the bench mark. Most use 200. Can you expound on your rationale?

Oz1

Not to press the issue but is there a reason for the 400 ISO. I know the D3 has very little noise even at higher ISO's but what is your feeling for using 400. You had plenty of room on the shutter speed for a lower ISO. You said you "normally" shoot 400, I have not heard of people using that as the bench mark. Most use 200. Can you expound on your rationale?

Mark:
I've gotten used set iso 400 as my starting point unless I'm shooting indoor portraits with lights. Most of the folks I shoot nature and wildlife specially birds shoot at 400 so to me is natural to start at 400. On this particular shot I was shooting birds in flight and did not even looked at my shutter speed.