Color blowout

KBHeiner7

Why do brilliant reds and yellows tend to blow out? I've double check focus, and move my saturation down - still get color bleed and loss of detail particularly on birds.

STM

It is really hard to see what is going on unless you post something, preferably a 100% crop of a representative area. I have a D700 and have never experienced what you are experiencing. Are you shooting in .jpg or RAW?

KBHeiner7

DSC_5109.jpg This one isn't so bad, but did not get the definition in the feathers I got with other colored birds in the same light and same settings. Some were much worse.

STM

View attachment 28423 This one isn't so bad, but did not get the definition in the feathers I got with other colored birds in the same light and same settings. Some were much worse.

I was hoping that the EXIF data survived but it did not so I can't see your settings. As has already been said, I would recommend setting your camera to high or fine if you want to stick with .jpg (which I would not recommend unless you don't have NX2 or PS) and start shooting in RAW.

BackdoorArts

I actually shoot in raw, not jpeg. Still see reds and yellows blow out - most often with birds.

The great news is that you can tame them then. If it's consistant with your camera then you can save it as a profile for your camera in something like Lightroom. Otherwise, at least taming them is easy.

Are you shooting in Adobe RGB or the default Nikon format? Perhaps try changing the color mode in your camera to see if that makes a difference? The information captured is going to be the same, so it's likely something in the default preview settings that are blowing it out for you.

What software are you using, btw? In the photo I'm looking at it's very vivid, but not necessarily what I'd call blown out.

BackdoorArts

Don't underestimate the effect of an uncalibrated monitor. I just looked at your photo on 4 different monitors (Mac, Dell Laptop, 20" Acer monitor, 24" HP Monitor) and got 4 VERY different looks on the red.

Would help if we had some EXIF information on the photo as well. There are lots of factors that can impact these things. Would also be good to see an unmodified jpeg taken straight from RAW file of the problem shots to get a feeling of what you're dealing with.

Also get used to using the color-specific saturation and luminoscity tools in Lightroom. Click on the eye dropper, click and hold on the blown out color and drag up and down to increase/decrease the saturation or luminoscity of that specific color (it may move a pair of sliders if it's not pure). Very quick and easy way of re-establishing balance to the photo.

KBHeiner7

Don't underestimate the effect of an uncalibrated monitor. I just looked at your photo on 4 different monitors (Mac, Dell Laptop, 20" Acer monitor, 24" HP Monitor) and got 4 VERY different looks on the red.

Would help if we had some EXIF information on the photo as well. There are lots of factors that can impact these things. Would also be good to see an unmodified jpeg taken straight from RAW file of the problem shots to get a feeling of what you're dealing with.

Also get used to using the color-specific saturation and luminoscity tools in Lightroom. Click on the eye dropper, click and hold on the blown out color and drag up and down to increase/decrease the saturation or luminoscity of that specific color (it may move a pair of sliders if it's not pure). Very quick and easy way of re-establishing balance to the photo.

Score! Red luminance slider helped a ton - thanks!

Pierro

Be careful if you have other normal reds in the photo apart from the over saturated reds, as this will make them even weaker. If you have other reds that do not need de-saturating, ( I can only explain this with CS5 as thats what I use ) a fast way is to use the quick magnetic tool to isolate the over saturated subject, and then go IMAGE tab > Adjustments > Hue / Sat and de-sat from there. The isolation achieved by the quick magnetic tool will ensure only that portion of the photo will de-sat

KBHeiner7

Be careful if you have other normal reds in the photo apart from the over saturated reds, as this will make them even weaker. If you have other reds that do not need de-saturating, ( I can only explain this with CS5 as thats what I use ) a fast way is to use the quick magnetic tool to isolate the over saturated subject, and then go IMAGE tab > Adjustments > Hue / Sat and de-sat from there. The isolation achieved by the quick magnetic tool will ensure only that portion of the photo will de-sat

Note sure I can do the same in Lightroom, but I've got a lot to learn in any case - thanks.