Advice on Nikon Lenses

sam49

Can anyone please tell me the difference in these three lenses

Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G the lowest price for this in the uk is £119.00

Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED MKII the lowest price for this in the uk is £75.00

Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX the lowest price for this in the uk is £63.00

I think the last one is the standard lens

So can someone please explain the difference in these lenses please

Regards :confused:

BackdoorArts

No idea. If I had to venture a guyess I would say that the non-VR lenses are older versions of the current, which also seems to be the cheapest.

sam49

Hi BackdoorHippie

Thanks for the reply can someone tell me what is the standard lens that is sold with the D5100 in the uk please :confused:

I am looking for a small zoom lens for indoor portrait photography I know a prime lens is better but I think I would like a zoom to start with.

I was thinking of the basic lens sold with the D5100 but there seems to be so many to choose from.

Cost is important so any advice would be grateful

Last edited:

Rick M

Hi BackdoorHippie

Thanks for the reply can someone tell me what is the standard lens that is sold with the D5100 in the uk please :confused:

I am looking for a small zoom lens for indoor portrait photography I know a prime lens is better but I think I would like a zoom to start with.

I was thinking of the basic lens sold with the D5100 but there seems to be so many to choose from.

Cost is important so any advice would be grateful

The 18-55g VR is the kit lens with the D5100

§am

Looking at your signature Sam(49), I would say the 18-105mm you have is sufficient to your needs and I wouldn't spend the extra money on a 18-55mm lens - you'll end up with a huge cross over in focal length that you'd probably end up lens swapping more then taking pictures.

The current standard 'kit' lens you get with the D5100 is the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX.
I believe the other two variants are older models.

As for a zoom lens for portrait work... well what's your budget - this is the single most important overriding factor for you.
Also, what do you class as portrait? I for one would say it's head and shoulders (but I'm no expert), but I've read others saying it's just head, or head and torso, or even full body...
Question - why not a prime?

(I'm certainly not an expert at all this, but these are questions I would ask myself and others if I was after new kit)

sam49

Thanks Rick

So if the 18-55 VR is the lens kit with the D5100 witch of the three lenses I posted is the one I posted at £63.00

sam49

Hi SS381
Thanks for the advice

I think my budget would be around £150 pound

As for the portrait I think I would be looking at head and shoulders of a adult and Infant full body

Why not a prime I really don't know I just think it would be easier to fill the frame

My 18-105 has a maximum aperture of 3.5 and I was hoping to get a faster one to use indoors in lower light and a narrow depth of field

§am

Sam - the 18-55mm has the same f3.5-5.6 as your 18-105mm (hence my advice not to spend the money on it).

If you're after something to capture head and shoulders and infants at that budget, I would definitely recommend a prime like the 50mm f/1.8 (£155) or the 35mm f/1.8 (£149)
OK, you will have to 'zoom' by walking closer or further away, but believe me the results are astoundingly better :)
Personally I would say get the 50mm as all the review etc say it is sharper, but it does mean you're up close to your subject, and to get more in you need to step back more which may or may not be an easy thing to do.. in which case people say you can't go wrong with the 35mm :)

Anything else faster than what you have and be a zoom and be a nice portrait lens focal length - well then you're looking at things outside your budget, e.g. 17-55mm f/2.8G (£1028), 17-35mm f/2.8 (£1498), 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (£1229) etc...

sam49

Anything else faster than what you have and be a zoom and be a nice portrait lens focal length - well then you're looking at things outside your budget, e.g. 17-55mm f/2.8G (£1028), 17-35mm f/2.8 (£1498), 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (£1229) etc...

Yes all the above lens are out of my price range I will have a look at the 35 mm and the 50 mm prime

Thanks for the advice

sam49

Thank you both for the great advice and after reading your comments I am beginning to agree with you so it thing the 35 mm or the 50 mm prime is the way to go.

Is there any chance of a link to them just so I am looking for the same lens you talk about

Could you please explain a little you say I would have to stand back a little more with the 50 mm and the 35 mm might be best is there a lot of difference

Thank you all so much you saved me from wasting my money :D

Last edited:

§am

Sam, here's links to the two lenses at the current lowest prices in the UK;

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens
(35mm f/1.8G £149 delivered)

Nikon 50mm F1.8G AF-S
(50mm f/1.8G £155 delivered)

Calumet is a reputable supplier here in the UK so you won't go wrong with purchasing from them (but if you're unsure there are other places too).

One other piece of advice I can give which hopefully helps is...
On your current 18-105mm lens, set it at 35mm and see what kinda pics you get, how close or far you need to be away from the subject etc, then do it all again at 50mm (or as close as you can determine 50mm to be on the ring).
With the demise of places like Jessops where you could go and get a hands on feel and play, this is probably the easiest way to help determine which lens is better suited to your needs.

Finally, you could hedge your bets at maybe a discount at the "Focus on Imaging" show in B'ham next week, but you'd need to factor in travel etc from E.Yorks for that, plus you may end up buying other bits & bobs too :p

sam49

I cant believe I had to ask you the difference with the 35 mm and the 50 mm, I must have looked at lenses all day and I think my brain is on meltdown. it so obvious to use my current lens to see the difference.

This camera was bought for me as a retirement present from the company I worked for, and was bought from Jessops and I do miss going into the shop and trying the products out.

Now that Jessops has closed there is nowhere near me I can have a good look.

As for the "Focus on Imaging" show in B'ham I will not be able to attend as I have things to do all next week.

Thanks you again your advice has helped a lot

Last edited: