35mm f2D

Epoc

I am really getting a hankering for primes. I have the 50mm 1.8G and LOVE it. However, I'd like something a bit wider. The 35mm 1.4 is simply out of the question as I haven't won the lottery lately. This f2D gets good reviews and the price is right up my alley. I like fast, accurate AF and great image quality. Anyone here use this lens or think I should looking at something else? Appreciate any input.

Epoc

Yeah sorry should have said, I need FX lenses. I actually have the 35mm DX lens for my D7000 and your right, it's is an excellent lens.

Last edited:

jwstl

Are you buying new or used? If buying used be sure to inspect the lens carefully. When first released this lens was notorious for getting oil on the blades which prevented them from opening and/or closing. I had 2 copies: one had this problem and the other didn't. Other than that it's an excellent lens. I do believe Nikon fixed the issue so new copies shouldn't have this issue.

STM

I am really getting a hankering for primes. I have the 50mm 1.8G and LOVE it. However, I'd like something a bit wider. The 35mm 1.4 is simply out of the question as I haven't won the lottery lately. This f2D gets good reviews and the price is right up my alley. I like fast, accurate AF and great image quality. Anyone here use this lens or think I should looking at something else? Appreciate any input.

I hope I am not talking out of school here because I really know very little about the autofocus lenses, but here goes anyway. Have a big grain of salt handy just in case. If that 35mm f/2 D is the same optical formula as the 35mm f/2 AIS, it is not all that great of a lens. It is pretty soft in the corners and had some pretty noticeable problems with coma that were not gone until around f/8 or f/11. The 35mm f/2.8 AIS (which I have) is superior to it in nearly every respect and was about half the price.

If Nikon changed the optical formula, which they really did not do for most of their lenses when they went from AIS to D, than perhaps someone here more familiar with the D's is a better reference than I am.

Last edited:

Epoc

I hope I am not talking out of school here because I really know very little about the autofocus lenses, but here goes anyway. Have a big grain of salt handy just in case. If that 35mm f/2 D is the same optical formula as the 35mm f/2 AIS, it is not all that great of a lens. It is pretty soft in the corners and had some pretty noticeable problems with coma that were not gone until around f/8 or f/11. The 35mm f/2.8 AIS (which I have) is superior to it in nearly every respect and was about half the price.

If Nikon changed the optical formula, which they really did not do for most of their lenses when they went from AIS to D, than perhaps someone here more familiar with the D's is a better reference than I am.

Thanks for your comments. I will try and research this.

SkvLTD

Lets see some shots! :D

I've been very pleased w/ the 50 f/2 I got, especially considering that it only ran me $30.

Eddie

Hey Epoc ... maybe you'd like to try out Sigma 35mm f1.4.
Very good reviews and even dpreview recommends it.
Don't you worry. Its an FX lens too ... :) ... link

Shizz ... I think its too late to post this as TS had already got his glass
Well ... anyways ... :)

Last edited:

Epoc

@SkvLTD, I'm hoping to get out and about this weekend for a play. Will post some shots if I get anything decent.

@Eddie, yeah mate lens has been bought. Only dropped a couple of c notes for it brand new. I've only taken a few shots around home at the moment. It seems to be pretty good for what I paid. The Siggy does look the goods. It might be a down the track purchase when I'm a bit more cashed up..

Last edited:

SkvLTD

I too will see if new house my folks just moved into can offer some fresh scenes, though 50 MAY be a tad too far of a reach on DX for some of my ideas.

Epoc

Here's a few pics from the weekend. I like the look of this little lens. :D

DSC_2904.jpg

DSC_2914.jpg

storm1.jpg