Who has pre-ordered a D7100?

mr2_serious

Was reading up on it two days ago. That is a very nice phone. Can stay submerged in 1m of water for 30mins with no problems!

- william - via tapatalk

BackdoorArts

At the risk of pulling this thread back on message, yes, I did. If March passes as quickly as February then it won't be too bad a wait. LOL

AxeMan - Rick S.

I would love to order one right now, but I don't NEED a new camera, I want a new camera. Dam NAS.

I'm waiting for it to get into the hands of the real world and see what the feedback is. Also half heartily holding off for that D400

By May 1st I can see myself with one. Down the road IF a D400 would come out I would attack it the same way I'm attacking the D7100, and more than likely sell the D7100 for the D400 if the reviews were favorable.

Well at least that is what the plan is.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm going back and forth mostly because of our trip to in early April. . . would like some of the capability but I really like the pro body of my D300. If I do it would only be if/until a D400 is announced or I make a "big" different decision (e.g. FX, Olympus OM-D or even Canon).

Sambr

I'm going back and forth mostly because of our trip to in early April. . . would like some of the capability but I really like the pro body of my D300. If I do it would only be if/until a D400 is announced or I make a "big" different decision (e.g. FX, Olympus OM-D or even Canon).
Get a d800 and be done with it. You get a great FX & DX all in one.

When I get to test one next week then I will deceide....if its not much better with my existing glass then there is no profit in it ...just buy a 7100 decal and stick in on me 7000 !!!

BackdoorArts

It's official. I'll be unordering tomorrow and ordering a D800. I've laid out my reasons elsewhere. Really bummed about it, and yet excited as heck about the D800.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Get a d800 and be done with it. You get a great FX & DX all in one.

I could, but I can't justify it to myself. It isn't cost as much as what I want. I'm not a pro, no desire to be. I'm spoiled by the D300. Went and played with a D7000 again today to try to talk myself into the D7100. It just isn't a pro-level body from a controls perspective.

The mirrorless capabilities, especially in m4/3'rds, is getting so good. What is sad is that the micro 4/3'rds has as good or better lens choices than DX (right now there are 54 lens choices available on B&H, 22 of which are faster than f/2.8). For instance, at the same price as a D7100 with the kit lens you could get the Olympus OM-D with a 12-50mm (24-100mm in 35mm format).

Sad to say, but IMHO, Nikon is doing a terrible job meeting the needs of the advanced hobbyists/amateurs. I have, and enjoy, the Nikon 1 V1 as a second camera. It and the rest of the 1 series are good but not great. The rumored DX mirrorless might resolve this, but right now Sony and m4/3'rds are clearly superior.

The D7100 appears to fit in that same mold: good, maybe even very good, but not great. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for Nikon, the D300/D300s is a great camera which created high expectations in a successor. Maybe the rumors regarding Canon's roadmap may pressure Nikon to release what folks have called a "D400". I hope so. But for now, I think I'll wait to see if Nikon shows anymore DX love this summer. If not, I'll probably jump into the mirrorless world.

§am

I would love to order one, but my budget doesn't reach that far, and to be quite honest, neither does my current photographic skills :(

I will however in honour of the new body go and get myself a new prime soon(!) :)

eli

TO Backdoor Hippie: where is the link to the other site where you state your reasons for purchasing the D800? Does that mean you sent back your D600? if not, are you purchasing multiple cameras for multiple needs: the 600 to walk around FX; the 7000/7100 for extra reach for nature, sports; the D800 for studio work. I am very curious since you list ownership of many cameras. Is one of them better as an all around camera than the others? I know canon users speak of the 5D3 as their all around camera. Which Nikon serves that purpose?
Owning a 7000, i am hoping to learn more, become better, and then upgrade to ????

eli

Found the other thread, where Backdoor Hippie discusses purchasing options. It is all very interesting and, for the relatively ignorant - like myself - all very challenging. I am tempted to upgrade and am not thrilled with the colors of my 7000. Not sure why and recognize it may be my own inexperience. Still learning, figuring out what to do. SO, in short, i really get a lot out of these discussions. thanks!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I am tempted to upgrade and am not thrilled with the colors of my 7000.

Are you unhappy with the colors on your monitor, when your print, or something else? Are you color correcting? How are you controlling white balance? Color concerns can be caused by a lot of different issues.

Well pre order here in uk or paying for a couple is not a problem ..its got all the specs I wanted BUT whats got me is why is it 7100 rather than 7200 ...all seems to say out of date model 7200 on its way ....Real problem is finding good zoom glass 18-200min (any suggestions) or its a waste of time buying it..
My 7000 is worth say $600 ..in 12 months it wont be below $400 so I get 15000 shots for < $200 and the 7100 will have droped in price in say 6 months From what I can see a 7100 will produce the same quality as my 7000 as the glass is holding it back ...more testing in progress (only way I can make the 24mp 3200 perform better than the 7000 is by using primes....no use to me) Will test at Focus exhibiton next Mon and let you know