Jennifer

slowpoke

Soft Box studio set up.1 on the floor in front. 1 on the left and right. D90 and nikkor 50mm1.4
portiats 099 (850x1280).jpg

STM

I really like the pose and composition but I would like to see a lot more light on her face. This is the kind of side lighting you would use in a bodyscape or something. Her eyes and cheeks are dark but her nose is a lot lighter. The softbox on the floor, shooting up, kind of give a mild "horror" lighting effect. It also gives an upward pointing shadow of her nose on her left cheek. I lightened her face somewhat in Photoshop and it was then that I noticed that her face is a little soft because the focus plane is actually even with her ears. Also, her shirt is kind of rumpled. It accentuates the upward shadows somewhat and is actually a little distracting.

portrait2_zps48c838e6.jpg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice unconventional light setup that looks good. The main thing that bugs me is the fact that the focus is on the hair in her back. If you were shooting at 1.4, you must do test shots and make darn sure the focus is on the right place: The eyes have, no, must be in focus for a portrait.

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice photos! And maybe it's my old eyes but it seems that the buttons on her shirt are in crispy focus but her face is a bit less so, no? Is the lens wide open and it's just creating a narrow plane of focus?

slowpoke

Focal point settings wheren't right.Being too much in a rush doesn't help,and a whole list of does and don'ts lol I'll slow(parden the pun)down,do some test shots check my settings and go from there.Thanks ,Dave:)

RockyNH_RIP

Focal point settings wheren't right.Being too much in a rush doesn't help,and a whole list of does and don'ts lol I'll slow(parden the pun)down,do some test shots check my settings and go from there.Thanks ,Dave:)

Hey Dave, you still did good for the 1st attempt.. Thats what it is, its all about learning and practice goes a long way for all of us... Keep us all posted and share your next attempt.

I did note softboxes, are you using speedlights, studio lights???

Pat in NH

slowpoke

Hi,Pat.I'm using softboxes(stuio lights.)I may break down and buy a reflecter to get some light up under her chin.I'll take some shots as is.moving the lights around to different spots.I'll practice.lol
All the Best
JOE

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,Pat.I'm using softboxes(stuio lights.)I may break down and buy a reflecter to get some light up under her chin.I'll take some shots as is.moving the lights around to different spots.I'll practice.lol
All the Best
JOE

When you say soft boxes, are you saying constant lights or flash inside the box. Cause I thought I saw a hint of movement in one of your shots and maybe what I thought was a mis-focus could be movement.

What kind of settings were you shooting at (shutter speed) ?

slowpoke

HI,Marcel.I use Constant lighting.The movement you saw was me trying to hand hold the camera.lol I knew better but...
The Setting I can't realy remember.I'm thinking 1/250.My model (daughter)was getting antsy about sitting.I have to find a softer stool.lol I will be setting up a shot with Jennifer and the D300 next month.I've set up theD300 with a portrait menu.Practice first then shot.I'll post only pics that are worthy.