Should I buy an 85mm 1.8g or not?

Photo Joe

With the Nikon lens discounts, I've been tempted to buy the 85 1.8g, since it's just under $400, which is a great price considering used ones for for $450+ and even a used 85 1.8d is around $300.
However, I don't do a lot of portrait photography - yet, and I do own a 28-70 and a 70-200 2.8 lens already.
I guess the question is do I take advantage of the sale price now or wait until I shoot more portraits? Or, do I need an 85mm prime at all? Thanks for the input.

Rick M

The 50mm 1.8g would be great for portraits on a Dx camera. As far as what to buy, what do you feel you are lacking?

Dave_W

The Dude
Well, I think to pigeon hole the 85mm as a solely a portrait lens is doing it a disservice. It's a fabulous general purpose lens, too. I use mine for concert and live venue shots. And I'm sure you know, the highest rated lens the DxO has ever rated.

But the real question boils down to whether or not you believe you'll be using that focal length enough to justify the purchase.

Photo Joe

The 50mm 1.8g would be great for portraits on a Dx camera. As far as what to buy, what do you feel you are lacking?
...and that's the trouble. I'm not sure if I'm lacking much, since I have the 85mm distance covered with my 2.8 lenses. I did just acquire a 50mm 1.8d. My thought is can I pass up buying the 85 for the current price or not? If I decide I don't need it, I'm thinking I could sell it a year or so later for at least the price I paid for it, since used versions were going for $450ish prior to the Nikon lens sale event.

Photo Joe

Well, I think to pigeon hole the 85mm as a solely a portrait lens is doing it a disservice. It's a fabulous general purpose lens, too. I use mine for concert and live venue shots. And I'm sure you know, the highest rated lens the DxO has ever rated.

But the real question boils down to whether or not you believe you'll be using that focal length enough to justify the purchase.
Didn't mean to pigeon hole it. I just know a lot of people typically revere it for its portrait work. The majority of my photography right now has been focused on action/sports, nature and events. I've shot at the 85mm length a bit on my 70-200 and it's a great distance to work with.

stmv

It is an interesting question, I find that my 85 sits on the self because I tend toward either the 50mm or the 105. I like the 105 because I either use the macro lens, or the beautiful
105 DC, so, my lovely 85 collects dust. with occasional use. Perhaps the lowest use lens in my collection. Still, love it, but I have the older D version not the G, and I also have
a 85 1.4 (yes, I do use that more, and wow, love that one).

STM

...and that's the trouble. I'm not sure if I'm lacking much, since I have the 85mm distance covered with my 2.8 lenses. I did just acquire a 50mm 1.8d. My thought is can I pass up buying the 85 for the current price or not? If I decide I don't need it, I'm thinking I could sell it a year or so later for at least the price I paid for it, since used versions were going for $450ish prior to the Nikon lens sale event.

I think you might be missing a key portraiture point Joe. Your DX lenses have a relatively slow maximum aperture which translates to wide depth of field. Unfortunately that is a real drawback of DX in my opinion. Ideally portraiture should have a depth of field just deep enough to keep the subject(s) in sharp focus and throw the background out of focus. The 85mm f/1.8 would give you that at f/2.8. I cannot tell you how many portraits I have seen ruined, in my opinion at least, by professional photographers no less, who used too small an aperture so that the background is sharp all the way to the horizon. That is an amateurish mistake. When I say shallow depth of field, this is what I am talking about. I shot this with a D700 and 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS lens @ f/4. I had to use a 4x ND filter to allow me to do it, even at 100 ISO, but the shot would not have been nearly as pleasing to the eye had the horizon been sharp.

CrystalBeach_zps183c159a.jpg

The image below is an even better example. I will sometimes go as long as a 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor for portaiture. Using an f/4 aperture, the depth of field is only a couple of feet deep, but look how well it separates the model from the background without losing a sense of place? The long focal length also compresses perspective, which I find pleasing. In most cases with portaiture, less is more when it comes to depth of field.

Navannah_zps87ae953f.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I have 28, 50, and 105 primes...the next prime I will get (and probably use more than the others) will be the 85 (unless I change systems). I feel that on my DX camera the 105 is a bit long so I think that the 85 would be perfect. I think a lot of your decision is going to boil down to your shooting style and the distances to subject that you are most comfortable with.

piperbarb

I have the earlier version of that lens (AF non D) and love it. I like it because it is a fast lens compared to all those f/3.5 and f/4 lenses. I actually used it today for my Project 365 photo. I like it. Even if you do not use this lens often, it's a good one to have in your lens arsenal. You can use it for more than just portraiture. I also used it for this past Monday's Project 365 photos (2-18-13), the pipe photos.

Fred Kingston

Okay... I'm fearful that the rebates will expire before the 85mm is in stock anywhere, so I ordered it from Adorama because they bundle it with other stuff for the same price everyone charges just for the lens... I guess, if you're gonna roll the dice, roll with the folks that give you the most...