The D800 Deleted my photos

joshua_f14

Hello all,

I desperately need your help. I've been shooting a Volunteer event over the last couple of days. The photos I took today on my D800 (in the same folder as yesterday) have ALL disappeared!

All other photos from yesterday are on there, however all the ones from today have mysteriously just vanished. I initially thought it might have been the "delete folder" option available on other Nikon models but the D800 does NOT have that feature. I have checked BOTH my cards (SD AND CF). I find this really bizarre especially after I flicked through ALL my photos straight after the event today and I went through those photos!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there such a thing as Data Recovery for your SDcard/camera?

Please help! :(

josh

AC016

It's never deleted until that space is written over with something else. There are free data recovery tools online, you just need to Google search for them. Good luck!

BackdoorArts

There are file recovery utilities for cards. Do not shoot any more on them if you want a shot at recovering. No specific recommendations, just Google your problem (SD card file recovery) and give it a go. There are likely a few threads on here covering it as well.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Could the files be on your second card? Could your card have been locked (just today)? Try take a photo now with same settings and see if it's there and where it is. Maybe the camera has opened a new folder inside the card… I just hope for you. The only other thing that comes to mind would be to use the usb plug and plug the camera on your computer to really thoroughly go through the cards and inspect every possible options before going further.

Best of luck and please do share your findings with us. We might need it someday.

BackdoorArts

He mentioned that he checked both cards (one CF, one SD). Seems really, really weird.

You didn't happen to accidentally "hide" the photos, did you? Are you looking on the camera or on your computer?

Photowyzard

I have had one issue where files "Disappeared" but they were not deleted, just in another folder. This was a year ago, I honestly can't remember what I did but the folder was there and I eventually found it and that was that.

There is all good advice above. Follow it. You should be fine, it is probably something simple. Please update us with what happened and how you resolved it.