Urban Exploration (Urbex)

BackdoorArts

Anyone here venture into the world of urban exploration? I've been absolutely fascinated by some of the photos I've seen on 500px in that category and am feeling a compulsion to give it a try. My biggest stumbling block is that my location gives me far more opportunity to do Rural Exploration than anything else.

I need to do some digging into the subject, but I'm assuming that one of the potential pitfalls (besides dropping through an old floor) is that trespassing is almost a given. Anyone here do any of that? There are a couple places local to me that I'd love to get inside, and have been looking for ways to contact someone to ask permission (always my preference).

Any stories around here about urbex experiences, or recommendations on how to go about it, and what to bring along (tripod, flash, crowbar, sidearm...)?

Rick M

Conceal the sidearm and forget the crowbar. Acting innocent and stupid has saved me from a few tickets, don't want to look like you went there to get in on purpose. I have an abandonded cement factory near me, have to look out for police rolling thru sometimes. Also a good idea to have someone with you, in case you fall through something!

A few shots from this spot in my gallery

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Thanks. This is NJ, so the sidearm will put me away before anything else. The reading I've done essentially recommends seeking permission first, and forgiveness with an explicit explanation second.

AC016

I used to do this type of thing all the time when i was a teenager. Abandoned factories, construction sites, etc. However, i don't think i would venture in doing it these days. I don't think a picture of a run-down building is worth getting arrested for. On the other hand, i would survey the location for a couple of days before going in. This way, you can see if there is any regular police patrols, security guard patrols or if there are vagrants/druggies/bangers using it. it really comes down to your personal safety. As they say, "At your own risk".

Carroll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration

I have remodeled in old houses and old buildings for many years. While Urbex is an *extremely* fascinating subject and experience, ( I have viewed thousands of images...) the dangers are, in my opinion, greatly overlooked because of the thrill of doing something in the gray area of the forbidden. IMO the #1 danger is air quality. I experience toxic air quality in remodeling on a regular basis, in homes/buildings that are occupied, or recently occupied. The air quality does not improve in abandoned buildings, even with gaping holes in roofs and walls. The beauty of the decay is added to by the various organisms growing on the walls, floors, ceilings, etc. Not to mention what the last person or animal left before you got there. Or what they did. All of this is part of what you breathe when you are in that area. Replacement lungs are not available at WalMart...yet. Get the absolute best filter/mask system you can at a minimum. Whatever you touch...who touched it before that...with what? You will come out of there with some of it.

Lots more to say, but I'll quit here. One cannot be too careful when venturing into the unknown. Otherwise, the signs outside would say, "Welcome, come on in...".

My job demands personal survival every day...my only motivation for writing this is that you survive, too.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Interestingly enough I drove past a closed paper plant out in my neck of the woods today. Sign on the fence had an EPA warning speaking about the hazardous conditions on the inside. Never would have thought, but I don't know why.