picture files

goz63

Would it be possible to add "tiff" files as available picture file types to be up loaded to the gallery? They don't have the compression issues for image quality. I use tiff files from my RAW conversions as they keep the best IQ from RAW.

I'm afraid that would quickly use up both the storage space for the hosting service, AND will make the pages extremely slow to load. If we're talking .tiff files, I have some that are in excess of 500MB in size, and even a couple that go into the GB range. NOT forum friendly. If I were you, and insist on using .tiff files, then I'd highly suggest using your own hosting service, and linking to the image files. That's why my gallery isn't full with images, because I upload to my server and link from there.

Last edited:

Fen

Also, TIFF aren't a propriety web format so unless people install extra software they won't be able to view the images you upload.

Careful handling/creation of JPEG files can result with virtually no compression or colour problems. Just takes a bit of practice, but it is possible to produce a 800x800 (pixel) image which looks perfect and is under 160k.

If using Photoshop:
- the last step before using "Save for Web" convert the image to sRGB. That will stop any colour changes when saving.
- Adjust the quality setting on the "Save for Web" till you are happy with the image and save the file.

LensWork

Besides the large file size of tiffs, I was under the impression that they cannot be properly (if at all) displayed by most web browsers.

goz63

Fen,
Does the same go for PSE? I don't use the full photo shop program. Can you do the same thing if you convert the tiff files to jpeg? This post production stuff is all new to me. I really like the way you can adjust the photos after you take them. I just don't want the compression loss from jpeg. I have seen it greatly reduce the quality of my pictures at times.

Browncoat

Besides the large file size of tiffs, I was under the impression that they cannot be properly (if at all) displayed by most web browsers.

Correct. In fact, there is no single reader that can properly display all TIFF formats because there are so many variations. TIFF is about the worst file format for web viewing. TIFF is largely a carryover from the printing industry, which uses CMYK color formats instead of RGB. It's great for prints, but not for digital.

PNG format is great because it does not lose detail, however PNG does not handle high resolution very well, it's mostly for graphics. JPEG does have some compression issues, but in most cases it's not as noticeable compared to alternatives. JPEG is your best bet for web viewing.

Fen

Fen,
Does the same go for PSE? I don't use the full photo shop program. Can you do the same thing if you convert the tiff files to jpeg? This post production stuff is all new to me. I really like the way you can adjust the photos after you take them. I just don't want the compression loss from jpeg. I have seen it greatly reduce the quality of my pictures at times.

hi Mark,

yeah, works in exactly the same way :)