Kickin' Myself; Forgot Tripod

M1A

I made my third trip to Paris last week in the hopes of taking some better photos. The last two times I was there was before I entered the DSLR world. I've been shooting since last June and I'm still honing my skills. This time I took the D7000 and got some really nice pics. The problem was when I went to shoot the Eiffel tower at night. I didn't have my tripod!!! No matter what I tried, even a fence post, I couldn't get the shot I wanted. I feel like I need to go again...

Have any of you ever been in the situation where you forgot a critical piece of equipment preventing you from getting the shot?

RockyNH_RIP

Never anything major (like missing the Eiffel Tower)! :) In may daily travels I usually have the camera, 1 extra lens and no tripod. If I am really going looking for shots, I usually throw the tripod in the back. (I really should buy an inexpensive one or a monopod and just leave it in the truck)

I have been out without the correct lens for something that occured.. (ie, no spare lens as in Telephoto zoom, went to shoot at a pond for scenery and saw ducks in the melted parts of the ice but no lens to reach them with)

Once or twice have not had camera with and maybe missed a low flying plane..

Have been out w/o tripod when I could have used it...

These, fortunately have all been local stuff and I missed nothing I could not get another time...

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

Every photographer finds themselves without their tripod once. Amateurs find themselves without their tripod twice. :)

I was so new to DSLRs that I never thought about bringing one on our trip to Yosemite in 2011. That's right, Yosemite!! If nothing else, the lack of one means I get to go back again and capture what I missed. You can always use the same excuse for Paris. LOL

Rexer John

I always have a Gorilla pod, it takes up next to no room, weighs mere ounces, fits in my camera bag with legs wrapped up and it's just strong enough for my D5100 with kit lens.
It can be used on tree branches, fences, walls etc.Put the 70 to 200 lens on it and it wants to look at the floor as the weight is too far forward.It's secure enough with wide legs or wrapped around something but moves way too easily with a touch, so a remote is essential. and not for windy days.
Definitely good to have for that time you don't have the proper tripod.

>>Gorilla pod<<

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I always have a Gorilla pod, it takes up next to no room, weighs mere ounces, fits in my camera bag with legs wrapped up and it's just strong enough for my D5100 with kit lens.
It can be used on tree branches, fences, walls etc.Put the 70 to 200 lens on it and it wants to look at the floor as the weight is too far forward.It's secure enough with wide legs or wrapped around something but moves way too easily with a touch, so a remote is essential. and not for windy days.
Definitely good to have for that time you don't have the proper tripod.

>>Gorilla pod<<

I read the reviews on the those (was thinking of buying one) and then backed off.. Leary of how well it works with other lens beyon 18-55 and also if I ever got a larger camera.. I passed but still kicking the tires...

Pat in NH

Rexer John

I got the Gorilla pod in a half price sale and it's well worth the price I paid.

At full price I can understand the prolonged tyre kicking stage, it is handy but only with a remote trigger or time delay shots.
It also is limited to where it can be used so definately not everyones cup of tea but better than no tripod at all.

There have been times I've been happy I'd got it with me.

RockyNH_RIP

I got the Gorilla pod in a half price sale and it's well worth the price I paid.

At full price I can understand the prolonged tyre kicking stage, it is handy but only with a remote trigger or time delay shots.
It also is limited to where it can be used so definately not everyones cup of tea but better than no tripod at all.

There have been times I've been happy I'd got it with me.

I am still looking for that "perfect" (for me) implement!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I may re-visit it..

Pat in NH

STM

I made my third trip to Paris last week in the hopes of taking some better photos. The last two times I was there was before I entered the DSLR world. I've been shooting since last June and I'm still honing my skills. This time I took the D7000 and got some really nice pics. The problem was when I went to shoot the Eiffel tower at night. I didn't have my tripod!!! No matter what I tried, even a fence post, I couldn't get the shot I wanted. I feel like I need to go again...

Have any of you ever been in the situation where you forgot a critical piece of equipment preventing you from getting the shot?

Do you carry a camera bag with you? You can place the camera on the bag, set your composition and use the self timer to trip the shutter. As we always said in the US Army; adapt, improvise and overcome!

jwstl

I'm always worried that's going to happen. I have 2 big trips planned for this year and I'm already putting together lists for each trip so I don't forget anything critical.

STM

I'm always worried that's going to happen. I have 2 big trips planned for this year and I'm already putting together lists for each trip so I don't forget anything critical.

Even though, by Ken Rockwell's estimation, this makes me a rank amateur, even though I was probably already taking pictures when he was still sitting in his own dirty diapers. this is why I carry about 10 Nikkors from 16 - 300mm (don't own any zooms any more) in my camera bag, along with both a film and digital camera body, an incident/flash and spot meter and various and sundry filters and do dads. The bag weighs somewhere in the 35 pound range. That, and 23 years in the US Army Infantry (Air Assault) and Sappers, is why I have two worn out knees and a bad back.

Scott Murray

I have used my hat very regularly on trips as a base when I never had a tripod. You get a nice low view point aswell which is something you would maybe not think about when with tripod. I like to think out of the box regularly. This is why I am thinking of taking a sand bag (empty and to fill up on location) when I go to Africa instead of my tripod.