Help me, I'm bleeding!!

BackdoorArts

Bleeding edge, that is.

Did some pondering and cyphering today (just wish it was by a cement pond). There's lots of time for it when you're in a 40 mile funeral procession. With almost $100 in B&H dollars in my account I decided to pull the trigger on a D7100 pre-order. Went back and forth with the Mrs. (I love her to death) on the "What I Want" vs. "What I Need" stuff, and the specs on the new DX camera match the needs almost to a tee, and at less than half the price of the wants of a D800 it just makes plain sense to give this one a go.

I debated on waiting for the first round of these to shake out, but if the timelines of the last 3 releases are anything to measure things by it's going to be 6 months until any real bugs are shaken out, and the truth is that I have some things I want this new second camera for by May, so buying the first batch or in April will likely not make a difference - I'll just cross my fingers and pray there's nothing I need to send it back to Nikon for in the first couple months. The savings over a D800 leaves some $$ in my pocket as well to play with the idea of a nice telephoto as well. That's something I can wait on, and given that my 12 year old Nissan sounds ready to give up the ghost any day now I suspect something with wheels will come first.

So, you have your first official tester registered. I'll just call this my golden easter egg. LOL

Rick M

I'm sure it will be great! Besides, you survived the great dust storm of the D600, you are now ready to take on a new adventure!

RockyNH_RIP

Jake, Congrats!! Those are tough descisions and you seem comfortable with your choice... Look forward to hearing your opinion and seeing your photos...

Keeping both of your other bodies???

Pat in NH

joe22

I've been chewing over long and hard about going from D7000 to D600 or D800 and taking the hit on new glass, as I am well kitted out with DX lenses.
Deliberation over, it's a D7100 for me. Thanks Nikon!

eli

anyone want to explain to me why Nikon did not put the 51 AF points in the D600 but did put it in the 7100? I have been considering the 600 to upgrade from the 7000 DX to FX and a weak point of the 600 was the 39 AF points. Yet here we have the 51 points in the 7100.
I would welcome an explanation of Nikon's decisions in this regard. Thanks!

Rick M

anyone want to explain to me why Nikon did not put the 51 AF points in the D600 but did put it in the 7100? I have been considering the 600 to upgrade from the 7000 DX to FX and a weak point of the 600 was the 39 AF points. Yet here we have the 51 points in the 7100.
I would welcome an explanation of Nikon's decisions in this regard. Thanks!

D7100 is the new high end Dx (Today)
D600 is the entry level Fx. If they loaded up the D600 with top features, it would reduce D800 sales.

Mike150

Congrats Jake. If you're looking for a fast and dirty way to dispose of your "Old Used Up" D7000, I'll pay the shipping to send it to me. (Can't afford more than the shipping only). That goes for you too Eli (If you spring for the 600)

Actually, I was drooling over the 7100 with the wife this afternoon. We both agree that this is in the "Want" category of the budget instead of the Need. That compounded by my health problems really do push the posibility of owning one on a back burner.

My wife did, however, did agree that if the funds ever do come available, it would be high on the considered purchase list, although I'm figuring the D7100 replacement will be out by the time before that happens.

BackdoorArts

D7100 is the new high end Dx (Today)
D600 is the entry level Fx. If they loaded up the D600 with top features, it would reduce D800 sales.

I think there was also a time factor. The D600 was shoved out there as an entry point FX and yes, you don't want to make it too close to the D800. But after 5-6 months you also allow Nikon to hear the "Nice, but I wish it had..." stuff. They did some serious listening with the D7100, which is why I jumped so quickly. Very smart additions missing from a top of the line, consumer DX (is there a Pro DX?!). Focus points, bracketing (not the same level, but better), video improvements. This is a major camera at the consumer level. I am putting my money on the line to say that they back it up in practice.

Rick M

I think there was also a time factor. The D600 was shoved out there as an entry point FX and yes, you don't want to make it too close to the D800. But after 5-6 months you also allow Nikon to hear the "Nice, but I wish it had..." stuff. They did some serious listening with the D7100, which is why I jumped so quickly. Very smart additions missing from a top of the line, consumer DX (is there a Pro DX?!). Focus points, bracketing (not the same level, but better), video improvements. This is a major camera at the consumer level. I am putting my money on the line to say that they back it up in practice.

It is certainly a lot of camera for the price. I'm amazed it's not starting off $200 more!

BackdoorArts

I grabbed my D7000 receipt to see what the difference in price was on this one and was a amazed that it wasn't a bigger jump ($100 more than the D7000 in 2011). Given that it's supposedly going to be the top of the line DX (unless D300+ rumors start popping up) Nikon did everyone a favor, and likely themselves, but not bringing it out at a higher price.

Rick M

I was wondering what the price of the D7000 was when released. They don't have much room to play with after release like they did with the D600. Will be interesting to see how the 1.3 crop works, it will be utilizing the best part of any lens, sharpness should be stellar.

Rick M

It is a bargin, if I were on the sidelines waiting, I would get this. When you think about it, selling and upgrading isn't always a bad deal. I used my D5100 for about a year before I sold it to get the D600. I lost about $200-250 in the deal. In a years time, I would have spent more on film! So I paid $5 a week to use my D5100, that's not a loss.

Well I am waiting to test it ...I tested the 24 mp 3200 against the 7000 and the 7000 was slightly better ...Hogan is talking about the lens now being the limiting factor ....now you say use a prime but not for my work ..I need a 18-200 or better 300 Zoom and it seems that big zoom glass is not good enough to get the best from a 7100....
Still when I get my hands on one I will do a test with my trusty chart .my othere choice is a D800 and new glass but that is going to cost $5000 x2 so up the creek goes the profits and its only a 24-200 zoom so a backwards step ..crop and back to square one ....
Only time will tell ...Test dont Guess

Last edited: