Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Go up

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Go down

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AC016

Seems like the D7000 may be in limbo between the 5200 and the new 7100 when it comes to price. I would say that they will put it back up ever so slightly, but not to close to the 7100. Paying a hundred or so dollars more for the 7100 over the 7000 is pretty attractive if you ask me. At the same time, they are keeping the price away from where the 5200 falls. 5200 really is not a giant leap over the 7000, except for maybe the MPs. Therefore, people who want to get the AF system of the 7000 will probably just opt for the 7000 if the price point is to close to the 5200. Also, the body is more appealing in my mind. So, keep the 7000 hundreds of dollars above the 5200. Just my thoughts.

Cowboybillybob1

5200 really is not a giant leap over the 7000, except for maybe the MPs.

I do not think the D5200 is a leap over the D7000 at all. If anything, even with the jump up in pixels on the 5200, the D7000 is still a better camera.

The D7xxx is a prosumer camera while a D5xxx is an entry level camera albeit an advanced entry level.

AC016

I do not think the D5200 is a leap over the D7000 at all. If anything, even with the jump up in pixels on the 5200, the D7000 is still a better camera.

The D7xxx is a prosumer camera while a D5xxx is an entry level camera albeit an advanced entry level.

It all depends on what you consider the words "better camera" to entail. The 5200 is going to have better image quality, no doubt about that. Dynamic range is pretty much the same. 5200 performs better at higher ISO, that's a given. They both share the same AF system now. So, where was the 7000 a better camera? Okay, it has the in body focus motor, shoots faster (by one FPS), max shutter speed is faster and the viewfinder coverage is larger. Who cares where Nikon fits their cameras in their marketing strategy. When you get a 7100, you can then tell me that it's a better camera than the 5200. However, in the end, it all depends on who is standing behind the camera :)

BackdoorArts

The D7000 will stay about where it is now with used prices being dictated by how many become available as current owners trade up. It's a wonderful camera that should hold its own for a while on the used market.

Epoc

7000 prices will fall. It's a given. Happens every time a new body with the same model number but one higher comes out. The 7000 can be had new for $736 of my $$, prolly round $750US. What a massive amount of bang for your buck that is. All I can say is, HAPPY DAYS!!

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/nikon-d7000-body-only-digital-slr-cameras.html

NB: the cost varies depending on the exchange rate. This was correct as at 23/03/13 :)

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

It all depends on what you consider the words "better camera" to entail. The 5200 is going to have better image quality, no doubt about that. Dynamic range is pretty much the same. 5200 performs better at higher ISO, that's a given. They both share the same AF system now. So, where was the 7000 a better camera? Okay, it has the in body focus motor, shoots faster (by one FPS), max shutter speed is faster and the viewfinder coverage is larger. Who cares where Nikon fits their cameras in their marketing strategy. When you get a 7100, you can then tell me that it's a better camera than the 5200. However, in the end, it all depends on who is standing behind the camera :)

Pixels does not make a camera. Just because The D5200 has 24MP over the D7000's 16MP does not mean it has better IQ. I never print more than 8X10 and unless you are making posters the 5200 is not automatically better because of pixels. The ISO performance of the D7000 is well known. It is one of its strong points.

Among some of the things you mention is the build quality, Magnesium alloy vs plastic on the 5200. 7000 is better sealed against dust and the elements. The 5200 does 12 bit RW while the 7000 goes up to 14 bit.
The 7000 does Commander Mode while the 5200 does not. This was actually one of the main features I was looking for. Lighting is at least 75% of a quality photo and the 7000 kicks booty with the options available. In fact just going through the menu will illustrate the options and versatility of the 7000 compared to the 5200. Faster max shutter speed and sync. along with two SD card slots that can be configured in a few different ways... Overflow, Copy, or split Movie and pics or RAW and JPEG.

Don't get me wrong the D5200 is a fantastic entry level camera the D7000 just has way more options and is a bit more like a pro camera.

AC016

Pixels does not make a camera. Just because The D5200 has 24MP over the D7000's 16MP does not mean it has better IQ. I never print more than 8X10 and unless you are making posters the 5200 is not automatically better because of pixels. The ISO performance of the D7000 is well known. It is one of its strong points.

Among some of the things you mention is the build quality, Magnesium alloy vs plastic on the 5200. 7000 is better sealed against dust and the elements. The 5200 does 12 bit RW while the 7000 goes up to 14 bit.
The 7000 does Commander Mode while the 5200 does not. This was actually one of the main features I was looking for. Lighting is at least 75% of a quality photo and the 7000 kicks booty with the options available. In fact just going through the menu will illustrate the options and versatility of the 7000 compared to the 5200. Faster max shutter speed and sync. along with two SD card slots that can be configured in a few different ways... Overflow, Copy, or split Movie and pics or RAW and JPEG.

Don't get me wrong the D5200 is a fantastic entry level camera the D7000 just has way more options and is a bit more like a pro camera.

5200 will have overall better IQ: Nikon D5200 vs D7000 - Our Analysis

Never said that MPs make it better. You have to take in all the variables. Never mentioned build either. By the way, your D7000 is only half Mag-Alloy. The rest is plastic, just like the 5200. Though, this along with weather sealing by no means has any impact whatsoever on what type of photograph is produced by the camera. Therefore, it's a moot point and does not make the camera "better". And, this is what it's about: what camera will spit out better files. Your two SD slots mean nothing in this case and neither does the shutter speed - i think 1/4000th is sufficient for what most people do. Further, 12bit vs 14bit is so very negligible, it is not even worth discussing. In theory, 14 bit is better. But in practice, i would not even bother trying to "see" the difference.

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

The D5200 is an excellent entry level Nikon.

i read the review you linked to and they reccomend the D7000 with a 96 score over the D5200 with an 88 score.

Last edited:

Cowboybillybob1

5200 will have overall better IQ: Nikon D5200 vs D7000 - Our Analysis

Never said that MPs make it better. You have to take in all the variables. Never mentioned build either. By the way, your D7000 is only half Mag-Alloy. The rest is plastic, just like the 5200. Though, this along with weather sealing by no means has any impact whatsoever on what type of photograph is produced by the camera. Therefore, it's a moot point and does not make the camera "better". And, this is what it's about: what camera will spit out better files. Your two SD slots mean nothing in this case and neither does the shutter speed - i think 1/4000th is sufficient for what most people do. Further, 12bit vs 14bit is so very negligible, it is not even worth discussing. In theory, 14 bit is better. But in practice, i would not even bother trying to "see" the difference.

The D5200 is an excellent entry level Nikon.

i read the review you linked to and they reccomend the D7000 with a 96 score over the D5200 with an 88 score.

AC016

I gave you the link so as to show you that the 5200 does indeed have better IQ. The score they gave, is an overall score. They would have given extra points to the D7000 for things such as in-body focus motor and Mag-Alloy, amongst other minor differences. As you said, we are going to have to agree to disagree ;)

Epoc

The 7100 hasn't been released yet. Give it a bit of time. When they do, grab one cause they will eventually run out of stock.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
No movement on prices overall in our area, so it looks like the new model won't effect the D7000 too much.

The new D7100 is NOT on the shelves as of yet. I usually takes between 2-3 months before the stocks are sufficient to equilibrate the stocks to the demand. You probably won't see any major price change before the D7100 is well stocked all over the stores. And even then, I'm not sure what the markup is on these but it can't be that much with all the competition around.

So, there might be a slight discount, but if I was looking to buy a new camera and needed one, I'd get the D7000 now instead of waiting a few months to save I don't know what.

Again, this is just my opinion and it in no means has more value than other opinions.

crashton

As the D7100 becomes readily available the D7000 may come down a bit more until they are gone. This is a good time to pick up a used D7000. Many folks are trying to sell & get money to buy the next best thing. If one doesn't mind having the last best thing you could swing a bargain. For me a used D7000 was had at a very wallet friendly price. In a couple of years I'll get a D7100 at a good price.

§am

Well over here, the price (or should that be pre-order price) has already dropped by £110 for the D7100 body only, whereas the D7000 body has stayed fairly constant.

Be interesting to see the actual release price, and how it fairs over the coming months

stmv

I would think that 850 dollars will be rock bottom for a while,, maybe someday,, some real deals will happen,, like some bundled deals, but I would think that the best deals will be in a year or so,, when some left over inventory is dumped.

Epoc

Well, I just picked up a brand new D7000 kit with 18-105 lens for $600. I bought it off a guy who bought it then decided he wanted a GoPro instead. Has never even been out of the box! Shot count 0!! Don't know if this was driven by the 7100's release though. More like an unbelievable bargain!! Lucky me:)